waiting on La Scala's

Dear Klipsch folk.

I've been reading the collective wisdom on this forum for a few weeks and have learned alot of helpful stuff. Especially helpful, aside from the enlightened technical advisement, is shared information and experience on the WAF. Help with managing communications allowing for the reality of different planets of origin is most sincerely appreciated.

Happy to say that I've got a pair of La Scala's on the way. Unfinished birch, so am looking forward to doing some finish work as well as hearing awesome sound. One of the serial numbers is 12R664. Klipsch customer service tells me that the "R" means the year of manufacture was 1977. Was wondering if anyone has this year of manufacture and which crossover was used at that time. My understanding is that these have not have any modifications. I've asked Al K. to build some new crossovers and have ordered grills from Klipsch. In reading some of the posts about grill work on La Scala's, I've been wondering what Klipsch will send. I'm expecting that I'll need to find my own "quarter round" or other trim to put around the edge. Also, would appreciate advice on how to attach to the speaker.

Daddy Dee

YOu will love those La Scalas!

I'm going to make a grille for the tweeter by: First removing the tweeter. 2) Stretch a section of speaker grille fabric across the opening to overlap the sides by an inch or two (temporarily help in place by....thumbtacks, maybe?) 3)reattach the tweeter and take off the tacks.

This should work -- I just now thought of it. I like to look at the horns!3.gif

Well i vote for base shoe moulding...the grill Klipsch will send you will not cover the whole top,,,it was made to go inside the grill trim.Also 1/4 round will not work.Go to my last ten posts and see my pics,i think you will like,,,,,Rick9.gif

Daddy,

Congrats on your purchase.

The ALK xovers will be a nice improvement. I would listen to your speakers for a couple months before installing the ALK's. This way you can tell the difference.

I would change the binding post's. I hate those little screws. Depending on what kind of wire and "lugs" you are going to use it is very easy to connect your speaker wire to your speakers. The crossovers are labeled input with red and black. the red is positive.

Speaker placement is important. Start with the speakers againt the baseboard of the wall and move them out an inch or so at a time. it can take hours but it is worth it.

Enjoy

Danny