Add me to the list...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/18/2003 7:59:35 AM MD1032 wrote:

<bump> NOOOOOO!!!!! TWEETER.COM IS OUT OF STOCK AND I DOUBT IT'S TEMPORARILY!!!!!
----------------

Tweeter is not authorized to carry Klipsch anymore. If under one year old, you can talk them into giving you a credit for the cost of the speakers there perhaps. They may be able to make something happen due to the special circumstances around their Klipsch relationship.

----------------

On 5/18/2003 9:43:18 PM jzoz01 wrote:

The referbs only have a 90 day warranty. I think that b-stock special on the 4.1s have the full warranty. You might want to check that out. Plus the refurbs often have cosmetic damage.
----------------

Actually, nearly everyone I have heard of that has gotten a refurb said that they can't see anything cosmetically wrong with them.

OK, I should be ordering the refurbs soon! Guess what? I called Logitech customer support and complained that my replacement set of speakers hadn't arrived yet. While I was on the phone, <DING DONG> they arrive and Tim (my UPS guy) hands them to me. I'll sell those on e-bay and order my new speakers. I already have 90 bucks saved up without the speakers, and I get 20 bucks a week due to lawn mowing, so I'm in great shape in terms of money. I already have enough money in my account (around 600-700 bucks).

Actually, nearly everyone I have heard of that has gotten a refurb said that they can't see anything cosmetically wrong with them.

----------------

It states right on the site that there may be cosmetic damage, so that is something that should be taken into consideration. And like I said before, they don't carry the full warranty, only 90 days. Given past problems with sets, you might be better off with the b-stock 4.1s off the site that I believe still have the full warranty.

Hey, guess what? My luck's getting better! The idiots over at Logitech shipped me a Z-640 system (which is 5.1 and has loads more power in the sub and sats) instead of my Z-540 system. I need to unload this thing and get some decent cash out of it, any suggestions? BTW, where can I get these "b-stock" PM4.1's? The only B-stocks I see are the ones that are shipped with a useless for me Audio Tornado.

----------------

On 5/20/2003 4:43:35 PM MD1032 wrote:

NOOOOOO!!! THE PM4.1 REFURBS ARE NO LONGER BEING SOLD! THEY'RE ONLY BEING SOLD WITH THE TORNADO THINGIE!!! AUGH...can someone give me a good price on a new set of PM2.1's (authorized dealer)?
----------------

Klipsch follows MAP'ing. Manufacturers Approved Pricing (or Adjusted... something like that). Basically, you won't find the speakers, from an authorized dealer, any cheaper between dealers. Dealers will take breaks sometimes but they are rare and not very great.

Hmmm...or I could get the Low=Budget Hi-Fi special for 200 bucks and get an audio tornado with it. What can that thing do anyway?

edit: awww man what the heck? I can't buy it. It's listed and advertised everywhere, and yet I can't purchase it!! WTF IS THIS?!?!

----------------

On 5/5/2003 9:38:24 PM InnovaZero wrote:

Yup, the system that started the PC speaker revolution has been out of production for months now...soon it will be a mere collectors item.

----------------

Not to be a nit or anything, but the system that actually started the current PC speaker revolution is the Klipsch ProMedia V2.400, which are the predecessor to the PM 4.1s.

Before that, it was the Cambridge Soundworks MicroWorks that was probably the best (and this was before Creative bought them out). But at $350 a pair, they were pricey.

Of course, there were others such as the Sirroco Crossfires, but they where friggan way expensive, but I hear they did sound awesome.

The Klipsch ProMedia V2.400 was truly a revolutionary system. Incredible sounding 4-channel speakers with sub for around $250. The price to performance was definitly right and that was when I decided to upgrade my PC speakers from the Sanyo bookshelf system that I was using (nothing I could find before that really sounded as good for the price I was willing to pay at the time for PC speakers).

It took me over 3 months to get them (or longer) - there was a hellacious back-order and waiting list for them at the time (late 1999/early 2000). I don't remember when I put my orginial e-mail request for them in. I think it was late fall of 1999 - but I do remember instead of getting an order form, I got a page saying that I was placed on a waiting list and that an e-mail will be sent when they become available. No local dealers had them at the time. I finally recieved the speakers in March of 2000!

After about a year and half or two, they upgraded the V2.400 to the 4.1s. Those that currently had the V2.400s could spend $50 and get the same control pod as on the 4.1s (with the headphone output and on/off switch). The original V2.400 control pod only had three controls - Volume, Subwoofer gain, and Surround fade. It did not have the on/off button nor the headphone output or the line input (where you could plug in an MP3 player for instance). I think they also made some minor changes in the amplifier of the 4.1s over the V2.400s.

I am still plugging away with my original V2.400s that I bought over 3 years ago (with the upgraded control pod - I still have the original control pod in a box in the closet). I did have an amp crap out on me, but I managed to score a replacement off of eBay. It was a really easy drop-in replacement and they are good as new. I just simply do not see a reason to upgrade them right now.

I'll have to call up Klipsch and see if it is possible to get the old amplifier repaired. I would not be surprised it it turned out to be something stupidly simple like a capacitor that went bad and a new one could be soldered in. Anyway I could test using a basic Rat-Shack multi-meter to try to find the bad component? I would not mind keeping it as a spare in case the one currently in use ended up getting fried.

----------------

On 5/21/2003 5:22:45 PM MD1032 wrote:

Good explanation. BTW, how many controls does the new 4.1 control pod have anyway? I thought it had 3 as well! Oh well, I'm going to look around for them. I'm desperate.

----------------

The ProMedia 4.1 control pod does still have the 3 knobs (the volume, subwoofer gain, and surround fade), but it also has the on/off button as well as an output for headphones and an input for an external device, such as a "Walkman" style CD player or MP3 player. The original ProMedia V2.400 control pod had only the three knobs - no on/off button (yes, they were constantly on - unless you turned them off at the power strip), no headphone jack, and no input for external players. Also, they seemed to have upgraded the cross-over network in the preamp (which is in the control pod), to improve the mid-range response of the ProMedias. That was a common gripe about the V2.400s was that the mid-range was somewhat laking. When the ProMedia 4.1 came out, Klipsch also sold the control pod seperatly for $50 so that those of us can "upgrade" our V2.400s to the equivlanet of the 4.1s.

In fact there where some that thought the V2.400s with the upgraded pod was better than the 4.1s themselves. The reasoning that I seem to get is that the V2.400s either did not have a bass limiter or had one that was more forgiving than the one in the 4.1s. I upgraded mine because I wanted the head-phone jack (came in handy for LAN parties), as well as the ability to quickly squelch the speakers by hitting the on/off button instead using the volume control (came in handy whenever the phone rang or some such). In fact, the "off" did not really turn them off, but put them in somekind of "standby" mode. I also did notice a slight improvement in the mid-range when I upgraded the control pod in my V2.400s.