Dynaco ST-70 & EICO HF-85 in the mail!!!

Kj,

I didn't use the PWB board from Curcio. Mark Deneen and I both discussed both boards and made a decision that it was to much of a departure from a classic tube circuit and word inpart to much SS signature for my taste.

His board is the standard Curcio all triode front end board with Auricaps and redisigned power supply custom designed by me. No cap boards go in my amps ! I find ways to squeeze full size Cans under the chassis and use 2 cans instead of one. I also beef up the bias supply and make it ultra stable with full bias control. He also has full AC Balance control that I had to tweak above Joe curcio's setup which didn't seem to allow for perfect AC balance (this has to be done with a scope or distortion analyzer). It turned out awesome once I debugged the design.

Craig

Craig (NOS Valves),

Way cool. I would love to hear how a hot rod ST-70 sounds vs my relatively stock ST-70 circuit.

OKC isn't too far from Dallas so maybe Craig could attend one of the DFW Klipsch forum meetings.

It seems the modern tube products are converging with high-end SS and sounding similar unlike some of the older "chocolate" or sweet sounding tube products like the Conrad Johnson tube pres. I read that chocolat description so I thought I'd throw it out...what does chocolate sound like?

Are we Klipsch owners trying to EQ our bright 70's horns with warm tubes and rolled-off Rega Planets? Are there advantages to modern more neutral speakers and electronics? If we took the sweet vintage tubes and roll-off classic Rega PLanet and played with modern audiophile speakers would it sound poorly?

I was in a shop today filled with Rega, Linn, Audio Research, ProAc, Magnepan, Wilson and other brands...buckage. Don't want to allocate that kind of money. I guess that's what interests me in Heritage and vintage iron.