More Help Please for a Stupid Newbie

onadi

4 questions for now :D

background: Denon 2803, Yamaha DV-C920, RF-3II fronts and RC-3II Center, Quintet rears(only 2 surrounds), and an SVS 20-39PCi sub(WOW!! is this thing gigantic reading the dimensions does not prepare you for the fuzzy terror tube you will be receiving, but hot damn can it hit). I run an optical from the Yamaha for DVD's and RCA's for CD's as the Yamaha has the famed Burr-Browns. I just bought all this stuff and no longer have a penny to my name. In fact my next paycheck is already spoken for. However, watching U-571 last night made it all worth it!

1) If I am listening to DVD-Audio should I use a digital line to my Denon 2803 or should I use the Burr-Brown decoders in my Yamaha DV-C920 DVD player by employing analog RCA's as I do to listen to CD's?

2) When viewing a movie with a digital signal that is 2 channel, what is the best format to use PLII, DTS Neo6??

3) If a movie has both Dolby Digital and DTS do I select which one I wish to use on the DVD players menu or on the receiver or both?

4) When watching a movie like "Immortal Beloved" (an incredible movie by the way that I highly recommend and is worth the purchase for the soundtrack alone) that has an incredible classical soundtrack would I use the Burr-Brown decoders on the Yamaha? If I used the optical and Dolby Digital to the receiver would I use a PLII music setting or Dolby Digital cinema?

Thanks for helping me. I know that I have been asking alot of questions since I got here and have offered no help to others, but with my limited experience I prefer to keep my mouth shut.

1 - If you have dvd-audio capability on your yamaha, you'll need to use the analog multichannel connections from your player to your denon. should be a 6 to 6 connection

2 - Listener preference, I use stereo setting

3 - I'd use both, although again, it's listener preference

4 - again, try both and see which you prefer. you really need to let your ears guide you on most setting preferences

----------------

On 5/9/2003 10:24:13 AM onadi wrote:

4 questions for now
:D

background: Denon 2803, Yamaha DV-C920, RF-3II fronts and RC-3II Center, Quintet rears(only 2 surrounds), and an SVS 20-39PCi sub(WOW!! is this thing gigantic reading the dimensions does not prepare you for the fuzzy terror tube you will be receiving, but hot damn can it hit). I run an optical from the Yamaha for DVD's and RCA's for CD's as the Yamaha has the famed Burr-Browns. I just bought all this stuff and no longer have a penny to my name. In fact my next paycheck is already spoken for. However, watching U-571 last night made it all worth it!

Thanks for helping me. I know that I have been asking alot of questions since I got here and have offered no help to others, but with my limited experience I prefer to keep my mouth shut.

----------------

1) You have to use the deocder in the player and the analog connections to get the DVD-A sound.

2) Can't help you. I never use it. Someone else?

3) You should be selecting the playback format from the player menu and your reciever should automatically play the format being sent to it.

4) If the movie is incoded in 5.1 then use the digital/optical line and select either DD or DTS. If it's only DD2.0 then use the PLII setting on your reciever to create a sound field.

Arthurs beat me to it.

One more question.

If I want to use the Burr-brown decoders from the yamaha for a CD, what setting do I put the Receiver on? I know that I am running analog RCA's, so do I set the receiver to a direct setting? If I set the receiver to PLII or 5CH Stereo is it corrupting the decoding of the burr-browns and adding its own decoding?

Thanks again.

Onadi: If I'm not mistaken, the Denon will just take the analog input from the Yamaha and convert it to digital, so it sort of defeats the use of the Yamaha D/A processing. Maybe, though, if you set the receiver to use the "external in" you might not go through the extra processing and can listen to stereo using just the Yamaha D/A conversion. Not sure of this. Try it and see if one sounds better than the other.

----------------

On 5/9/2003 11:18:55 AM onadi wrote:

One more question.

If I want to use the Burr-brown decoders from the yamaha for a CD, what setting do I put the Receiver on? I know that I am running analog RCA's, so do I set the receiver to a direct setting? If I set the receiver to PLII or 5CH Stereo is it corrupting the decoding of the burr-browns and adding its own decoding?

Thanks again.
----------------

I would use the Direct setting to bypass any signal processing in the Denon for 2-channel CD playback.

DD

----------------

On 5/9/2003 2:14:31 PM dougdrake wrote:

I would use the Direct setting to bypass any signal processing in the Denon for 2-channel CD playback.

DD

----------------

What dougdrake said.

If you set the Denon to Direct mode it will turn off all video circuits, bypass the bass and treble adjustments, and it will not convert the signal to digital.

couldn't be happier with it. been running it about a year now and it sounds great with Klipsch. Smooth middles and highs, rock solid bass, and plenty of power to drive yourself crazy with. The Ref30 is a bit of a nut to set up, but once it's done it operates extremely easily, so I guess it's worth the setup headache. If you're considering B&K, I'd say buy, you'll be very happy with it.

----------------

On 5/10/2003 11:09:41 AM arthurs wrote:

couldn't be happier with it. been running it about a year now and it sounds great with Klipsch. Smooth middles and highs, rock solid bass, and plenty of power to drive yourself crazy with. The Ref30 is a bit of a nut to set up, but once it's done it operates extremely easily, so I guess it's worth the setup headache. If you're considering B&K, I'd say buy, you'll be very happy with it.

----------------

I was over at Tweeter here playing with the exact same B&K gear you are sporting. I definitly agree - it is sure nice. I did not want to spend the money on it right now, but the B&K is on the short list as a future upgrade to seperate components and amps. Right now, if I am going to make any more upgrades, it'll be in the video department - as in a new TV and a better grade DVD player (although the JVC player I currently have is nice).