Subwoofer calibration with large speakers

Rudy81

I will soon be receiving an SVS 20-39 PC+ sub to add to my Heritage HT. The mains are Bells, and the others are all "large" speakers. Any recommendations on how to best calibrate the sub for my HT would be greatly appreciated.

Rudy-

You will love the 20-39PC+!!! Great choice there. First thing you need is a SPL (sound pressure level) meter from your local Rat Shack. Most folks like the analog one, and it is cheaper than the digital, but they were sold out of the analog one when I needed mine, so that's what I have. It does great for me.

I would assume that you have an AVR in your equipment stack, though I am not familiar with your gear. If so, then it should be able to generate test tones, then use that and the SPL meter to calibrate your speakers. Sit in your sweet spot, put the meter at ear level, with the microphone pointed up. Then adjust your speaker levels up and down to where they read 75dB. That is the normal setting, but Avia HT disc goes for 85dB.

Sub will be calibrated the same way, but I added just a couple dB to my setting. I like my bass. 1.gif

Good luck.

Thanks,

The C2 has an autocalibrate as well as a manual calibrate feature. I also have the AVIA DVD for calibration as well as the SPL.

As soon as the sub arrives I'll give it a shot. Hopefully I will have seamless bass between the mains and the sub.

"large" really has nothing to do with bass response, since you did not list the make i am guessing they are not klipsch, anyway i adjust acording to the ear, and the feel, i have a puny ksw 12 so my corns outweigh the sub for outright impact, so i set my crossover at 60 so that the sub wont interfere until it is dealing with the low low lfe, alot also depends on the environment12.gif