anyone here with separate amp n speaker connected to PC..

creed

i am having some dilemma, i wanted to have good speaker and i am on quite a tight budget, recently i've heard the KEF Cresta3 floorstander and i like it, and i plan to connect the amplifier to my PC soundcard (Audigy), anyone here did this before and mind to let me know yours result.?.since i don't want after i bought the KEF and connected to my PC, yielding very big difference or lousy sound just due to my soundcard...i knew that cd player aint expensive nowadays, but there's thousands of good quality MP3 sitting inside my computer's hard drive, do you guys think that connecting my soundcard's output to an amplifier a feasible choice.?.and will it be better than a Promedia (which designed for PC sound).?.

really really appreciate if anyone here in the forum can enlighten me up a little, thanx

Yes, I would encourage you to connect your PC to your stereo system...just don't use the integrated factory PC sound card. I assume your Audigy will be fine although there are better sound cards for music.

Your PC with a nice sound card should sound as good as a sub $500 CD or DVD player connected to the same stereo system (preamp/amp/speakers) playing the same source. Since mp3's are compressed music files with loss they don't sound as good as regular CDs. Your PC-based mp3s will sound like mp3's on a CD played on a CD player.

For better sound copy a regular CD to the PC hard disk using Exact Audio Copy freeware and compare to your mp3's. It will take up a lot more disk space though.

There is a test on this forum comparing a $350 Card Deluxe connected to a preamp, amp and Klipschorns with a similar priced used Rega Planet CD player connected to the same system. The results were very similar if not better with the PC.

I have compared my $99 M-audio card to my DVD player with Outlaw receiver and Klipsch Cornwalls. The results were similar.

NOTE that you may have to turn up the volume to equal the same sound level when using a PC vs a CD player. Don't let the higher volume CD player source make you think it's better sounding...turn up the volume so they both are compared at the same level.

ProMedias are good for setting on a desk within arms length while working on the PC. They don't take up much space, they don't require a big receiver box, and they sound a lot better than many cheapie PC speakers. Getting a wireless keyboard and connecting a PC to your HT/stereo system is much better.

I am doing this in 6 different rooms of my house, but I need to agree with KJ. The sound quality of MP3's is not up the better systems. But I have to say, it makes the best jukebox.... only playing from my playlist.

Both of my daughters have computers in their rooms, & I have hooked them up to external amps with decent speakers. I have another system in the garage hooked up to an old Kenwood receiver & Phase Tech speakers, & one in my family room hooked to a pioneer receiver with Celestion speakers. All of the computers are hooked to the server, so we can play our own playlist anywhere in the house. And since the server is in my closet in my bedroom, I have an old Yamaha receiver hooked to that for music in my room. Of course, I am using Klipsch KSB 1.1 speakers.

In my main system, I have a sound blaster live in a computer that plays MP3's using the digital out on the sound card, & decoding it with my receiver. I use this all the time for non-critical listening. However, I can not sit & listen to it for any extended time. It is a very tiring sound.