DIY Tumult

I want to build a DIY subwoofer using the 15" Tumult driver. First of all, let me state that I do have some skill working with wood, but this will be the first time I've ever attempted a DIY subwoofer. Alright, now on to the questions:

1) I'm assuming that the Fs rating means it is the lowest frequency the subwoofer can produce in a sealed enclosure. Is this correct?

2) I noticed that the tumult driver itself only has foam surrounds. This worries me as I've seen way too many foam surrounds crack rather easily. Since there is only foam surrounds, should I be worried that this will severely limit the life of the sub.

3) If I am wrong on question 1, how can I calculate a tuning piont? Hopefully I can build something that will reach to 15 or 16hz.

Thanks in advance.

I suggest you that you download WinISD, this is a free program which will help you very much for making a DIY subwoofer. It can answer all your questions. You can build a sealed / ported / passive radiators enclosure and it will tell you the fr curve and the tuning point... also the excursion of the woofer with a certain amount of power, the air velocity of a port, etc. By the way, the Tumult driver is not listed in this software so you will have to enter its parameters manually.

I wish you the best of luck for your project! 2.gif

Fs is the resonant frequency of the driver. A driver can play below it's Fs. The Tumult was designed with the intension of being used in a smallish sealed enclosure and then EQed flat to below 20hz (peferrably with a Linkwitz Transform circuit).

The current tech of foam surround is very different from a while ago. Treated foam will last as long as rubber. Foam also has a more consistent compliance making it a better surround material than rubber (now that it will last just as long). There is a reason all of Adire's sub drivers use foam surrounds.

As Firepinch said, get WinISD pro or some other modelling software (Unibox is another good free one). Learn the basics of using them and model away.

Darth.Balls - I would say getting the plans all ready to go will be the easy part, you having wood working skills is probably the biggest assest you have. So you know about finishing the box? You could make a sub thats looks as good or better than anything that can be bought for anything.

That is a awesome woofer.