center channel placement prefs

bchild311

Anyone have a preference on center channel placement either above the screen or below? Behind is not an option for me since I don't use a projector. I just purchased a 60" Sony Grand Wega LCD and I'm having a hard time deciding whether to go above or below. Below is easier since it fits in the stand. To go above the TV I would have to build a custom stand that exceeds sturdiness. Owners of the RC-7 know how heavy it is.

Thanks for your thoughts ...

I found the best placement to be within 18 inches of the heighth of your mains mid/high freq speakers, regardless of top or bottom. In my experiment this really help keep stuff smoothly blended and not localized (unless intended to be so via the dolby program). I actually use 12 inches as my guide.

Here is what makes sense to me. If your mains are low to the floor and you want to have the audio pan accross instead of up and down, put the center under the screen, tilted up as already said. If your screen is large, you may want to put one above and one below (two centers). If your mains are even with the screen, you can put your main above the screen. In either case, above or below, tilt the front of the center toward the main viewers. Quite frankly, if your movie is good enough, and your sound is dispersed well enough (thanks to great horns!), you won't care and the sound-video source will appear natural once the brain is trained (tricked) correctly.

I actually built a platform for my center to sit on that puts the tweet closer in height to my La Scals's. However I did raise my big screen about 2' off the floor. If you check my web page(listed below) you can see what I did. It made a vast improvement over the placement on top of the screen. I am also in the final stages of building a custom center that will provide me with good timbre matching of my La Scala's. This new center will be identical in height to the La Scala's.

Scooter