Speaker recommendations for Dynaco ST 70

paul cbc

My heresies came with angled risers and I think it makes them a little more strident, to my ears, I prefer the sound from them when flat level. they need to be close into corners IMHO to give any bass impact, YMMV, etc., etc. la scalas would be cool too if you have a easy going wife and the scratch. one last thought Belles or Klipschorns would be the ideal and could be your last speaker purchase...ever. If the st-70 is rebuilt to provide its best IT may well be your last amp purchase as well. tony

Hey Paul,

Heads-up! There is a nice looking pair of oak Chorus' on ebay--ending tomorrow. They're at $255 (way low) and reserve is met. They're in WA and you're in Oregon. I think they have your name on themhint, hint. Item #3024022877.

John

John, Bill H.,

Thanks for the tip on the Chorus, and the sniping service. Would the Chorus be a big step up from the Heresy? I saw another pair of Heresy on ebay- #3024051307. Couldn't figure out how old they were serial #161y893-any clues. Look a little worn, but cool(paint?)

Looks like the Chorus are a bit more sensitive and go lower in frequency response-45 vs 63 Hz.

Your thoughts/my thanks,

paul

2.gif

The "Y" in the serial number makes the Heresy's 1983 vintage. Although I love my Heresy's the Chorus would be a big step up from both in size and performance.

The Chorus are nearly as large as Cornwalls (Chorus are taller but not as wide), and if I had to choose between the two I would go for Cornwalls.

Maybe I'm just biased, but I've a/b'd cornwalls and heresys and IMO the corns blow away the heresys. If you can get cornwalls for a little more $$, go for it. MUCH more bass. No subwoofer needed so you'd be saving money overall if bass is an issue for you. They are both great speakers though. My $.02.

----------------

On 5/17/2003 12:49:20 PM paul cbc wrote:

Would the Chorus be a big step up from the Heresy? I saw another pair of Heresy on ebay- #3024051307.

2.gif

----------------

Paul,

I recently bought Chorus IIs to use with my vintage Eico HF-81, replacing Heresys IIs (which I still have). They're in different classes altogether. It's not that the Heresys aren't good, but the Chorus just have this huge, full-bodied, chest-thumping presence that fills up a room. Heresy's are noticeably deficient in bass and tend to be stringent in the mids and highs whereas the Chorus have ample bass, are smooth and well balanced. The Chorus (original) has the same tweeter and mid driver as the Cornwall II, same size woofer and same ported design. By comparison, Heresys seem like an entry level product that make compormises to meet a price point and fit in a small box, but are still Klipsch horns and still sound great compared to a lot of other stuff you could spend that much money on.

J.