altec 515b to replace k33, any idea

Probably a waste of a good 515B, a driver noted for it's exceptional upper bass and midrange, why bury it in a bandwidth limited folded horn? Use the 515s as they're meant to be used and they sing.

If you want to improve the performence of the Klipsch basshorn the general consensus is that you're unlikely to improve it using other drivers, that the K-33 performs as well as anything and better than most IN THAT HORN.

Hey Tom,

What do you think about the JBL 2226H(?) in a K-horn/La Scala? The numbers look pretty similar the the K-33 and it has a stiffer basket and higher power limit. It's $$$, but might shine when rockin' hard.

John---I dunno. As you probably know PWK designed his basshorns empirically and basshorn theory doesn't really predict very well how they'll act with other drivers, I reckon the only way to know is to try it out.

2226s do handle a great deal of power but they're also a couple of db less efficient than the K-33. Also note that the 2226s act as giant heat sinks when given alot of power and are not really getting any louder after 200-300 watts are fed them. So they're very reliable but I doubt if they'd really go that much louder than the K-33s. But they are VERY precise drivers and might make less distortion than the K-33s.

If you want to try 2226s I'll make you a good deal on some, I have a pair of 4648 bassbins I want to sell, that's 4 2226s, a grand takes them, I'll part them out.

I'm a little interested in 2226s, but not enough to pay for them yet. I'd like to hear from someone who's put a pair in La Scalas. The data sheet I have calls them 97dB/w/m. That's a half a dB louder than what I have on the K-33.

John,

djk is working on a project that is a low distortion replacement for the K33 woofer. It might be available sometime soon, as it was nearly a half year ago that I heard about it.

Dennis states emphatically that heavier woofers are less efficient than lighter woofers and many don't know what they are seeing when they look at a K33 and say "look at that little thang..."

PWK did do this w/o the aid of computers, just over and over and over till he got it right. Hard to predict whether you can do better than him.