KLF-10 as custom built center?

I can pick up a single KLF-10 with pretty bad scratches and no grill for $85, I was wondering If anybody ever thought about trying to build a center out of one of the legend series? Could I use all the existing components in the KLF-10 to make a good center? I pretty sure I could make a quality cabinet to house the 2 10's and the horn, Would this be a better match than say the KLF-C7? Or am I crazy to even think about It? Anybody have any thoughts/Ideas that would make this work?

Thanks

Craig

------------------

Klipsch KLF30 Mains

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch KSP-S6 Surrounds

Klipsch KSB 1.1 Front Effects

SVS 20-39CS Sub

Samaon S700 Sub Amp

Yamaha DSP-A1

Yamaha MDX-793 Mini disc

Yamaha TX-492 Tuner

Sony CDP-C701ES 5 disc Player

Panasonic A110 DVD

Sony TA-N220 Amp running front effects

Hitachi MX4080EM Muli-system VCR

Hitachi 29" T.V.

Denon DP-37F Turntable

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

craig, if your yammy has a rear center hookup that would work great, but i guess it doesn't. but yea I would think if you could build it the 10's horn(k) could be the better match to the 30s than the c-7's(kv).

that'd be one big center.

Craig,

I called tech. service at Klipsch this morning To ask about doing the same thing with a KG 5.5. I was told that it will work with all the original components. How well it will work is another story. Keeping the internal volume of the new cabinet the same as the the original cabinet is necessary. You can however adjust the deminsions within reason. I was also advised that changing the driver aray could have an adverse effect on the sound. As far as the crossover question I was told that I would most likely. have best resluts using the 5.5 crossover. One thing working in your favor though is that the C7 & KLF 30 share the same tweeter diaphragm. Klipsch made no garuntee that it would sound good only that it is definately possible and may work out. Since I already have a KG 5.5 with a damaged cabinet I am going to buy a sheet of plywood and try to put it together this weekend.

Good Luck, Q

Thanks again Boa, Anybody else out there in Klipsch land with any info? Will I need anything besides's the woofers horn and internals to make a good center channel? has anybody tried this is it even feasible? Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks Craig

4977 I was typing my reply at the same time you made your post, It sounds like I might have a chance here!! Funny how we were both thinking of doing the same type of thing for our center channels. I really appreciate you reply it's answered alot of questions. i guess I can't go wrong for $85, Keeping that internal volume issue the same might require a bit more thinking.

Thanks again

Craig

Craig:

It's not easy building a speaker, and not much easier modifying one like you are. It's tough to get all the variables covered and find the right combination that gets the best sound for the materials involved. Like our Tech Support people are saying "it's possible, but there are no guarantees..." One other consideration...you need to shield the drivers since the KLF-10 is not magnetically shielded...see parts on our website or call 1-800-KLIPSCH...and good luck with your project!

PhilH

i just got done putting all the buck magnets on all the drivers in the klf-30s.

let me tell ya that was no walk in the park for me.

but the old sony tube is back to normal smile.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

craig, i believe a more complete shielding is

done by using both bucking magnets & shielding cups. i just did the magnets & did

it for all as the tweeter & midrange were nowhere near as expensive as the woofers' & i did them 1st to see. but the bigger woofer mags were definitely more of the problem.

Craig

With all due respect I think

you would be crazy to think you

could improve on the C7. The C7

was made to blend perfectly with

the Legend Series what you suggest

IMO would be a serious dowmgrade.

GOOD LUCK.

------------------

Jerry

We'll Jerry22m, to have a set of speakers perfectly blend together theyed all have to be the same. I love my C-7 but think that having 2-10" woofs compared to 2-8' woofs would get It that much closer to running a full up front matching set. And I also thought for $85+ I couldn't go wrong even If It didn't work out.

Craig

craig just the magnets would be a bout 1/2 as much as u paid for that 10 (bout $33 shipping included). the prices are listed on the parts list under home audio.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Craig and 4977, first of all, if you go ahead with this project do not use plywood. You should use 3/4" or 1" MDF (medium density fiberboard) or some other sound deadening material. You may want to even build a small section for just the tweeter. Using a seperate box section for the woofers may help in the driver array problem, but it will be one tall center speaker. The drivers would be in a triangle array with the tweeter on top, picture a small rectangle on top of a large rectangle. It is a tough project. You are going to have to figure out where to put the wide flare port so you don't have increased bass distortion. Tuning a box is pretty tough. I just built a pair of speakers for my workshop. I had a couple of RF-3 drivers that the movers has slightly damaged which were replace at their expense. I easily fixed the damaged drivers and used them in a pair of speakers I modelled after the RB-5's. I used pre-assembled crossovers and Selenium horns (low cash). It was about $200 and a lot of sweat and blood to get it right. They sound good, but they are in my workshop, not in a listening room (thank God). You guys are taking on a bigger project. I think the center channel speaker is probably the hardest speaker to make, let alone tune.

If you guys go ahead with this project, I wish you the best of luck. Be sure to keep us updated as to how it is going.

Good luck and enjoy!

JT

Thanks again Boa, What else besides the magnets will I need to shield the speaker?

decibel man, I hadn't thought of setting up the speak with the horn on top,I was gonna do It In the same layout as the C7 but your Idea sounds even better. As far as tuning the box I have no idea as I've never took on such a project. Any more info would be appreciated.

Craig

decibel man,

I asked about placing the tweeter above the woofers like you suggest. I was told that it would probably be best to keep the voice coils on the same axis. As far as the port goes I don't have a clue as to how to determine the proper place for it. I have thought about using two 2" od 4" long tubes on the ends of the speaker similar to the KV3. I haven't decided for sure about that. I have been thinking about using MDF but the main reason I thought about was cost. I agree that this is a big undertaking, especially considering my lack of knowledge in speaker design. I have decided that even if it doesn't work I will only be out a small amount of money and a lot of time. Of course if it does work I will have an incredible center channel for basically free.

As far as shielding goes I placed two of the woofers directly on top of my RPTV and saw no difference in picture quality. If the speaker sounds good I will buy the bucking magnets just to be safe.

Thanks for the input, Q