Using HT receiver as a preamp

Bob_Collins

This question refers to any HT receiver that does not have jumpers or switches to disable the input to the internal amplifiers.

Most HT receivers above a certain price range have pre-outs. Some have inputs to the amplifier stages, most probably don't, however. I would guess that most do not have jumpers connecting the pre-out to the amplifier input, until you jump up a considerable amount in price, if at all. Which leads me to my question. If I use an external amplifier (feeding the pre-outs of my HT receiver to an external amplifier), wont the internal amplifier still be receiving and amplifying the signal, thus producing heat and drawing power, just as if it had a speaker load attached?

The jumpers I am referring to are what used to be found on most decent, upper end stereo receivers. They simply provide the path from the pre-out of the receiver, to the input of the amplifier. My Nakamichi TA-4A had them, and the Yamaha DSP-A1 has them for its L, R, and Center channels (I believe).

My Denon AVR-4800 essentially performs as a preamplifier. In the old days, yes receiver's had the jumper pins on the back so that you could use the preamp or amp portions of it independently. I have two configurable amplifiers running off the Denon, one in 3-channel mode, the other in 4-channel mode. The power supply and caps in the Denon receiver aren't hardly working as there is no load present for them. The amplifier section is on, but running at idle. I do plan to use the B surround outputs on it, since it only has 8 channels of preouts not 10. A small task for this receiver. I would have gone with a preamp only, but Denon stopped making one after the AVP-8000 I think it was. I can use the amps in the receiver in the event I have trouble with one of my outboard amplifiers. I get no noise, his, hum or any other artifacts running the receiver in this configuration. The power supplies and storage capacitors in the outboard amps can do a much better job with challenging transients and dynamics. My DBX BX-1 Reference amplifier has dual 2kw torodial transformers in it, and requires a 30 amp breaker. It runs class A in power range that I run it in and it sounds incredible being fed from the Denon's output. So you can obviously use a HT receiver in this manner with very good results.

I use a Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver in a similar way.

The 3000 powers a second pair of rear surrounds and a pair of front effects. The pre-outs go to an Outlaw ICBM bass manager then to a six channel McIntosh power amp. The Mcintosh powers the mains, front and rear center, and one pair of rear surrounds. The 3000 barely gets warm now, but that's not the reason I went to a seperate power amp.