Preferred Plasma TVs

isabella

We are putting together a media room with plasma tv and klipsch surround sound in wall or ceiling speakers, probably the denon receiver and dvd player. We currently have a 42" Fujitsu but it will be too small for this new 20' x 17' room. The 60" is too expensive, so we thought the 50 would have to do. Does anyone have any other Plasma preferences? The Fujitsus tend to be pricey. Any advice is appreciated. Oh, and cabling--monster cable? Thanks.

Unfortunately I haven't researched Plasma at all, so I can be of no help there... but for the cabling:

You will get a lot of different opinions on cabling... those who say it makes a huge difference and those who say it's all "snake oil" . The truth probably lies somewhere in-between, where modest cables will perform quite well. I usually recommend someone start with basic cables, and then upgrade them... this way you can see if you can hear / see a difference... I think Monster may be a small step up from basic, but are available at reasonable price points.

Rob

keep your 42 inch fuji and go front projection... for the price of a 50 inch plasma from panasonic or pioneer (5-7000 and up) or the 50 inch DLP from Samsung (3600) you could get a dlp front projector and a nice stewart or dalite screen then spend 500 on the cables needed and you would have the real home theater experience. Doing it this way also saves us on both items Home theater only on the Front projection tv only on the plasma.... If you were thinking about retiring the Fuji to the bedroom well there are numerous sub 3000 displays that are good for bedroom use....

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Elite Pro 1000 50". Pioneer is having a $1000 rebate on them right now, so it is the perfect time to buy. Any dealer of these should be able to deal with you on the price. So, negotiate. I also, love the denon's. Hope this helps.3.gif

post-12532-13819247430158_thumb.jpg

Indeed, the Pioneer Elite 50" is about the sweetest one I've seen.

The external tuner/control box included is a nice touch - not to mention the free wall mounts. That alone saves you $1500 in add-ons.

Plus removable speakers - I mean, who the hell is going to actually use the speakers on their TV in a home theater room anyhow? 3.gif

The Pioneer 503CMX is the same unit as the Pro Elite for the exception of the tuner board (must have this board for HT and to watch TV) and the bezel (503CMX is metal where as Elite is polished wood). The cost of the 503+5502 tuner is about $6000 - $6500 on the web. Another neat thing about the 503CMX you can buy 3rd party tuner and input boards from Aurora or Key Digitial (Key is expensive) to jazz up performance in replace of the Pioneer card.

If light levels are a problem then the Panasonic will be your best pick. However the Panny will cost you about $500-$800 more.

From what I have seen both pictures are top notch.

Go here for more info.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

However you might want to consider this, I am. A "good" quality DLP PJ and fixed screen are about the same price. The only knock on PJ's are light levels in the room. So it won't be the best picture in a room with a lot of ambient light. In other words to watch NFL football, NASCAR, MLB during the day you have to keep light (sunlight and reflected light from hallways, adjacent rooms etc) out of the room as much as possible. I understand that special shades are available for doors and windows and you can always paint your walls something other than white if you're really hard core. But at night with low level lighting the pictures are banging and you from a 50" to 100" screem!

Regards,

Mike