Dynaco problems-1 channel

paul cbc

Hello,

I'm seeking help from the Dynaco & general tube electronics folks on this forum. The other day I turned on my Dynaco st70 and only got sound out of 1 channel(right). Checked interconnects and speaker cables. Swithched both to test and they are not the culprit. Swithched output tubes-el34's and then the 7199's, no dice. Checked bias-right side 1.7 v, left side 46v!! Unplugged unit.

I am not very experienced in this area, do have a multimeter and a desire to learn. Any thoughts?

I'd appreciate it as I'm pretty bummed right now.

My thanks to all,

paul

Craig,

Thank you so much for your extremely generous offer to assist me in troubleshooting. I need a blushing smilie to insert here.

I am concerned what powering up the unit will do to the output tubes on the left side-high voltage reading. Should I be?

I'll try some preliminary checking for basic shortings. Might take you up on your offer though if that is allright(insert blushing smilie).

Many thanks, 9.gif

paul

Update,

Well folks I took Craig up on his offer and he called me at home today. Craig spent over and hour with me on the phone walking me through a bunch of diagnostics and measurements until the problem was identified. He did all this from memory too, down to the replacemdnt part # needed. ($1 cost) 12.gif12.gif12.gif

WOW.

I did not buy this amp from Craig. I am blown away by his kindness. After I got off the phone I realised I had forgotten my initial strategy to call him back-he even paid for the phonecall!!

I'll post another update on how my repairs go.

For now here's to a great guy, Craig NOS

Enjoy the weekend,

paul

Paul,

lets get it fixed then you can flower me with all the smooze !! It should be the problem as long as you were getting proper contact on the resistor !

Thanks

Craig

PS,

My cell phone has free LD and free weekends so no cost to me there so it really isn't that big of a deal.

Craig,

>>My cell phone has free LD and free weekends so no cost to me there so it really isn't that big of a deal.

Yeah, but your time is. I remember quite well the several hours you spent with me on the phone for nothing. I don't forget either. Some people are better than others and you're one of them.

Tom