4.1 difference not as good?

Ok, I just picked up a set of 4.1s to upgrade from my set of v.2-400s. I got them home and hooked them up to my sony dvd player. I popped in Saving Private Ryan and proceeded to test the sound differences between the two sets.

I first tested my set v2-400s with the volume set (the dot) set at 1 o'clock and the sub volume set at 11 o'clock. I watched the intro beach invasion scene and then proceeded to hook up my new 4.1s. I set the knobs to the same matching settings as I had set the v.2-400s and to my surprise, the sound was much lower than the v2s. I had to set the volume knob to the 3'oclock position to even match the same volume level. I had to also re-adjust the bass a bit too, changing the knob setting for the sub volume to 12 o'clock.

There was a definite difference in sound as the crossovers provided for more mid-range as speech was more discernable in the explosions and gunfire, but other than that, the brightness of the sounds and the volume levels didn't match up.

I then continued to compare the sound with the tank/bridge scene near the end and found the same results. It seems that the 4.1s lack the same power and amplification compared to that of the v2s.

I cranked the v2s to the max and compared to that of the 4.1s at max for both scenes again, and definitely, my ol' v2s were much louder.

I then hooked up both systems to my cd player and found the same discrepancy.

Overall, the v2s sounded much brighter and louder at equivalent sound levels (not knob setting) than the 4.1s.

Now, am I wrong to believe that the new 4.1s are supposed to be the same as the v2s except for the new crossovers improvements? Has anyone had the same problems? I don't understand how I can spend another $300 not to get something that is better.

I am hoping that it may just be my unit but I would like to know if anyone has the same problem or at least offer an explanation for this handicap.

Chances are your v.2-400 is one of the first 12,000 or so which had a higher gain than the later ones. The gain was reduced on later units of this model, because a small percentage of people found the high frequency noise to be objectionable.

Both systems have the same power abvailable and the same maximum output. It does take a higher drive signal to get there, which should not be a problem unless you have a particularly low output sound card.

As for the differences at "same" listening levels, it's true that the v.2-400 would have lower midrange output, which has the effect of enhancing treble and bass.

If you are looking for the same relative tone balance as the v.2-400, then a 2-3 click boost in software treble and bass controls might do that.

Hope this is helpful.

-djf

Wow, I didn't know that the there were V2 units out there that had a higher gain. I purchased the V2s in October of '99. I believe that these are probably one of the first sets to have been sold and I happen to have one these sets with the "extra" gain. I guess it doesn't help for one to have gotten accustomed to the potential loudness of these speakers to find their upgrades a bit different.

Unfortunately for me, I use these as a direct hook up to my DVD player, not on my computer so I can not adjust for tonal difference. I live in a small home and my living room is about 10 X 13 so actually, the V2s fill up room quite nice.

Thanks for you help DanF. I do feel a bit better knowing that I did not end up with a defective 4.1 unit.

I have another question that maybe you or someone can answer. Somehow I have not been able to get any surround sounds from my other two speakers when hooked up to my DVD player (not computer). I have the two speakers hooked up to my LR output from my DVD player via LR audio(the red and white plugs) to a RCA female to plug the green RCA plug of the promedias. I then connected the another set of LR audio cables to the surround LR outputs and connected this to my pink plug.

During the setup, I played test signals for all the speaker and they all sound out fine. But when I actually play the movie, either no sound or very little sound comes from the rear channels. I have my DVD player set up for Dolby 5.1 play. Any help you guys can give is much appreciated!

quote:

Originally posted by zmatrix:

...During the setup, I played test signals for all the speaker and they all sound out fine. But when I actually play the movie, either no sound or very little sound comes from the rear channels. I have my DVD player set up for Dolby 5.1 play. Any help you guys can give is much appreciated!

It sounds like you've got it hooked up right.

I take it these are modern movies with 5.1 sound tracks (some older movies would have only stereo or mono tracks). Some DVD's confirm 5.1 digital when in fact only a stereo signal is being delivered. Still others have virtually no surround information despite delivering a 5.1 signal.

What DVD player are we talking about? Maybe someone here has experience with the particular player...

I noticed the same thing when watching movies. I changed my rear speaker placement and it helped a bit... but it seems to me a lot of movies do not make good use of the rear channels.

------------------

Caring is the first step toward disappointment.

People!!!

I spent a lot of time researching this subject before... I will once again put my post up. And to the engineers at klipsch: Please consider selling the following option as a new model.

Items

Two V.2-400 speakers as the rears.

Two 2.1 or 4.1 (built in crossover) speakers for the fronts.

1 sub.

And the sound, Priceless.

Test it out for yourself! You get perfect midrange sound from the fronts, high pitch treble from the rears and kick *** bass from the sub.

Here's a copy of my last post:

Difference between the V2-400 and the 4.1

Klipsch Tech support wrote:

The 4.1 will be exactly like the V2-400, except with the new control pod and improved crossovers. The specs will be the same.

Difference between the 2.1 satellite and the 4.1/V2-400.

The 2.1 satellites are 35W, the 400s are 60W. The new crossovers basically allow for better sounding midrange. Since you are positioned closer to the front speakers (probably), you will hear a slight difference if the 2.1 sat is in the front.

More info on the 2.1 satellite

The extra part in the 2.1 satellite is a crossover. You will hear a difference, especially if you use that satellite in a front position. The rear won't matter as much.

You will get better midrange sound, but not as much power. We cannot exchange a v2-400 sat for a 2.1 sat, because what we have is for warranty parts.

Consumer Findings:

Ok Ive come up with something brilliant for those who are not concerned with pure power but better quality sound. Before I go on I just wanted to let you know that Im more of a Home Audio enthusiast before you critique my system. I have also purchased a full Klipsch home audio system for myself and I know what to look for in a serious system.

I had purchased the V2-400 in January and I was amazed at the amount of sound that those speakers could deliver But there was something missing...

As you already know, with a home theatre setting, your system usually sits in a larger room but more importantly is where youre positioned. How many of you sit right in front of your TV/Stereo when youre watching a movie or listening to your music? Exactly, youre positioned in the middle or back of the room where your couch is probably sitting. (Im speaking for the majority of course)

But in your PC room or home studio you tend to sit right in front of your monitor where your front speakers usually sit. This is when I first discovered the missing ingredient because when I wanted to pump my music up to get the full effect of my rear satellite speakers surround sound my ear drums were being driven by the two front speakers. So I exchanged the two front speakers with the 2.1 versions, which obviously drive better midrange sound. And the results

Crisp quality sound and plenty of compliments from friends who already have the V2-400 and the new 4.1 speaker set. I can get great sounding vocals and bass from the front speakers while the treble kicks in from the rear speakers. And of course the subwoofer keeps the bass vibrations flowing to.

Maybe we can call my system the new 4.2.

Thanks again for the input. I run the sound off my Sony DVD player model DVP-S550D.

I actually went back to test my new 4.1s to see if the surrounds would kick in since they did not on my V2s. I connected both the pink and green RCA plugs to the y adapters hooked to my dvd players front L/R and rear L/R outputs.

The results: still no sound from them. All I get is a low humming.

Now this is where it gets weird. I then disconnected the pink RCA and connected it with the green RCA of my old V2s and voila, sound came flowing thru.

So I know there is sound for sure, but is there something in the amp that's causing the surround sound from NOT going thru. And this happened on both Promedias V2s nf 4.1s.

Anyone else experiencing this?

When I hooked up the pink plug to the front L/R, it has a muffled sound, very faint.

I did a little more research and played around a bit more. I figured out why I did not have surround sound for Saving Private Ryan. The version of the DVD I have is for DTS(downmixed to Dobly surround). Since the Promedias does not have a DTS decoder built in, they produced no sound therebyt forcing me to choose the Dolby surround donwmix. With that, the surround sounds were almost non-existant.

This past weekend, I popped in the Mummy to refresh myself before going to watch The Mummy Returns and I decided to test out the hook-ups once again with my fronts and rears, green and pink plugs all connected to my dvd player. Lo and behold, the surround speakers came alive.

LOL I feel kinda stupid now that all this time, I thought it was my promedias or my dvd player. It eneded up that SPR was my first dvd I owned at that time and the only title I tried out with the promedias.

Now this is my initial finding and I only tested it with the Mummy dvd. I am gonna try the rest of my dvd collection and see if all of them work. Thanks again.

BTW, I think I will be keeping my old V.2 400 since the new 4.1s don't match up. For some reason, I demo'd both sets to my wife and a three of my friends asking them which they thought was better and all of them picked (of course I didn't tell them which ones were which) my old promedias. Weird I must say. They all commented that the 4.1 sounded weak even though I had cranked it up to the same sound level, (not knob setting).

I hope I can return my 4.1s... redface.gif

Im planning on purchasing the 4.1's in a few days and im sure they will sound great. I have never heard the v.2-400's so i cannot compare them, but i know i will be happy. I was hung up about this 5.1 buisness but i have discovered that the 4.1's are better for computer use because of the phantom center channel. I am going to be using the set for computer games, mp3's, cd's, mini disk player, my tv and dvd's from my computer. A 5.1 solution would be nice but i would have to buy a 5.1 card so it would be to pricy for me. But i have a feeling that the 5.1's comming out are not promedias and not meant for the computer, i think they might be a HT microsytem like the quintets. I dont know this but that what i think.