Could use some help?

BLM

I have a great deal of time on my hands and need to do another project. I built a set of khorn cabinets from scratch and used the components out of my La Scalas, sound great. I really enjoy the woodworking part but have no idea when it comes to the electronics. I would like to build another set of speakers and wonder if you guys could give me some ideas on what speakers might work and where to check on getting them. I would welcome any ideas or sugestions. Thanks

Hi Butch,

Welcome to the forum. I'm definitely impressed that a man with time on his hands would build a pair of Klipschorns. Hope you will post a pic of your project. You could build a pair Klipschorn cabs for for me! 1.gif

I'd love to finish them out. Just let me know what you'd want for the project!

Dee2.gif

p.s. Did you swap out all the drivers and crossovers from your La Scala's? What crossover?

Thanks for the replys, hope everyone had a great weekend and holiday. If I did this right there is a couple of pictures of the horns that I built.

John, I guess I don't have any idea what my options might be. I had wondered if there were any other speaker combinations that would work in these cabinets and sound as good or better the the orginal speakers.

Dee, I come about having spare time the hard way. Ten years ago I had an accident . A 1500 lb pipe fell 12 feet from the bucket of a tractor and I was caught between the pipe and steering wheel. I broke my back in five places, broke the ball off my right shoulder and broke the ball into three pieces, broke six ribs and punctured both lungs. I was never suppose to make it to the hospital alive but for some unknown reason I am still alive and doing quite well. As for swapping everything out of my La Scala's yes I did. It says AA on the crossover, Like I said before the electronics is something I have no idea about, you guys will have to educate me if you can.

Rob, If I could find a set of plans or find a subwoofer to tear apart I would give it a try.

I really enjoyed building my first cabinets, I enjoy doing the woodworking. Maybe I should stick with what I know and just build some more cabinets for anyone who needs some?

Butch

If your looking for simple subwoofer projects, you can simply build a couple of the Adire reference designs... the designs and parts are readily available, and they will produce high quality resonnable priced subwoofers.

Seeing that your K-horns already produce excellent bass, I'd recommend a "True SUBwoofer" which will extend to 20Hz such as a pair of vented Tempests. Here is a link to the design page

Adire Tempest Applications

Either the Vented or Passive Radiator Applications will give excellent results and i would recommend the "Adire Alignment Design" as they are the most balanced (SBB4 is a little boomy and EBS will tend to make the woofer bottom out)

I'm sure that other members will also recommend the Adire Tumult or even the Stryke AV-15 based subwoofers but the Adire Tempest is the only one of the three which is "in Stock", reasonably priced, and the designs redily available online.

You can buy all your parts at Acoustic Visions:

AV 15" subwoofer

AV subwoofer amps

Feel free to post any questions...

Rob B.