JBL PB12

Antagon

Im posting this in the sub forum as well, need some quick input.

We have an...odd...shaped living room, its about 20x20 or a tad less, its a walkthrough livingroom, meaning you walk straight through it to get to the kitchen, or front of the house, no door.

Do you think this will be a good sub? I listened to it, it was pretty damn good, and I can get it for about 220 right now, brand new, out the door...should I?

Thanks a lot

Btw, I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow morning, so I need the input asap :D

I own a PB-12 aside from my RSW-15. the PB12 is in the home theatre, and the RSW-15 in the 2 channel system. actually, what I think would be a better solution for you, is to buy MY pb12. there were a ton of problems with a faulty amplifier in the subwoofer, and they would just cut out for no reason at all in about a month. this happend to mine as well, but I got it fixed so it is fine for good now. if you don't believe me, go check the reviews on www.audioreview.com . there are too many faulties to count. but other than that, I thought the PB12 was a very high quality subwoofer, especially for it's low internet price of 250 bucks.

You THOUGHT it was a very high quality subwoofer...do you still think that?

I'm gonna go head down and make a mock mspaint drawing of the room, its a crappy weird shape and its not really suited for home theater, but meh, its what we're stuck with for the next 6 months till we move.

How much would you be willing to sell your sub for?

• 2 weeks later...

hey antagon, imfeelin you about your situation.

you have to buy a bigger SUB the jbl pb 12 is more on like 12X16 or 14X18 in a normal hight ceiling. if you are fond of JBL's try the next line.. the s120II. it is running like 400 watts rms. but i dont about the quality. i think it is running like 22hz low freq. nonetheless that will do it. or try to buy 2 JBL pb 12, try svsubwoofer HSU research. although im having bad reviews about the HSU they are still pretty tight agains the low down bass.

try:

velodyne

hsu research

svs

paradigm

and M&K

if u wanted to stick with the JBL pb 12. try to buy 2 of them and put them on each front corner. BEST solution on that. try to experiment on your HT.

you have any more questions. try to email me at phibonez@yahoo.com

I cannot believe we're in a Klipsch forum and nobody is talking Klipsch to this guy.

Please forgive my brothers, they know not what they do...

I just bought a pristine KSW300 on eBay for $250 shipped.

15" 300 watt.

The real trick is going to be positioning it in the room to get the most out of it. That will take some trial and error.

Patience will be it's own reward there.

Best of luck to ya.

Bucky

does anyone here feel that the pb12 is not musical? i feel that since it is a downfiring sub, it is meant more for HT than music.... i dont know - thats just me. i had ksw subs hooked up to my pc (go to promedia 4.1 forum under "lets see some 4.1 setups" to see my entire setup 9.gif ) and the bass just didnt flow well with the music for me - it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb. then i hooked up a frontfiring infinity 12" sub to my pc, and it was a world of a difference. eh, maybe its just me.

----------------

On 6/11/2003 10:01:02 PM n2v wrote:

I think downfiring subs don't work too well with carpeted floors.

----------------

then put some hard board or wood beneath it (only for downfire subs without its own hard board), but i think almost downfire subs now a days.. have the board already..

but i think carpets doesnt even matter. its all about postioning.

but you maybe right. i think thios needs to be clearead out by a person who knows something about sound waves, and principles of sound against matters.

you will be able to gain some output from adding a solid surface underneath the subwoofer as opposed to a carpet because you gain roughly 3 db per reflecting surface and carpet is deffinatly not a reflecting surface. I'm not sure if the difference will be noticable here, but on paper it should make one. and dane, most subwoofers still do not include their own bottom plate, i.e. the JBL pb12.