H-700's - What are they

Cybernalt

... I just bought a set - sight unseen. They arrived, but the boxes, which were clearly original (or one heck of a good fake) are the same size as a Heritage (I have 2 sets pf them) but the walls are not as thick and of a cheaper material then the Heresys. I was told these were inside another box originally, and that box looked poorly made. The Grill Cloth is just wrapped around the end. The Drivers look great, but ... I guess I'll be looking for or building new boxes.

Any idea what these are and what the intent was?

Sorry for the delay getting bcack.

These are a Model HDB-12. Serial numbers are 2H768 and 2H765. They are 1/2 5-ply plywood, frankly not well made boxes - at least compared to the other Heresy's I have .

I have not tried these H700's out yet. Any info would be appreciated - specifically, since these are planned to be buried in a wall, I don't really care what they look like, but is the thin 1/2" ply box prone to rattle?

What you have are Heresy H700s in theater black. The boxes are made of 1/2" fir plywood. They had no grill. They were intended to be hidden in dark places in theaters. They were the predecesor of the industrial versions. They sound every bit as good as the ones with the pretty boxes. IMHO they are worth what you paid for them.

The boxes are simple to build if you have a table saw and router or jig saw.