Changes in Cornwalls

Is there a place to find out the changes, and when they happened, to cornwalls over the years that they were built.? I have figured out a bit by searching past posts but I am still unclear on things like when they went from vertical to horizontal mid range horn mounts, and when they changed mounting the components on the back of the motorboard to the front.

Am interested in any input.

Thanks

joshnich

That's a very good question, one I wish I had an answer for. I find the evolutionary process of the Cornwall's life very interesting as well, but like you, I don't have many (if any) answers. Maybe Andy (HDBRbuilder) can shed some light on this subject, seeing how he worked for Klipsch back in their glory days.

1985, advent of the Cornwall II (horizontal horn) version, is when the woofer and horn lenses began being mounted from the front instead of from the rear.

Original Cornwall II version came along in the early 1960's and had vertically mounted horn lenses. It was produced side by side with the Cornwall (with horizontally mounted horn lenses) until it ended life as a "standard production item" sometime around 1974-a bit earlier or later...with the standard Cornwall with horizontally mounted horn lenses taking over again as the standard production model. Prior to the beginning of life of the original Cornwall II version with the vertically mounted horns, the Cornwall had ONLY horizontally mounted horns.

"stamdard production item" means it was offered up in the "catalog" of the time. Note that a very few vertically mounted horn lens Cornwalls were built AFTER the Cornwall II ended its life as a "standard production item." These were built for specific customer requests...usually made to add a second Cornwall of that type into a system that had previously had only a single one of these in it...IOW...a monaural system being converted over to a stereo system.

I just finshed reading some very early klipsch brouchers and klipsch reprinted hifi news ect.

I read 2 early Cornwall brouchers one from 1959 and the other from 1960.

The very first Cornwall that was listed in catalogs had VERTICAL horns that were the same ones used in the short horn and early Hersey.

The mid horn was much smaller than the later k600 horn.

Port was in the rear center and ran top to botom (same as short horn) .

The tweeter was a EV T35(same old one used from 58ish on up).

Trim was the same as top of the line shorthorn (TV sylel front panel).

The side of the cornwall were covered in same cloth as the front just like the early Hersey.

I think they made the early cornwall up until 63 when the new Cornwall II came out with the lager mid horn and moved the port to the front.

I think the early cornwall was desinged out of the shorthorn (same crossover/horns) also it had the same front panel. they just moded the sides and back making a deeper cabnet with better bass.

My guess is that all early Cornwalls had vertical horns up to the time they droped the cornwall II name and the Cornwall came out Not sure what that date was maybe the late 60,s or early 70,s

I have early 60 cornwall and a 59 shorthorn they look the same from the front .

I wonder if HornBuilder Knows someone that was at Klipsch in the late 50,s that might know more on the cornwall history.