whats a better place for my surrounds?

wheelman

I got a 22 foot by 12 room with the entertainment center in the middle of the 22 foot wall with my couch in the middle against the opposite 22 foot wall. Should i put my surrounds on the side wall that are 12 foot long they would be alot further away than my mains because i sit about nine feet from them. Or should i put them were i have my surrounds now. Witch is on the same wall of my couch with two door ways on each side of my couch mounted above each door way. This would make them closer to me but i dont think they would be as spacious. I have had them both way but with way different speakers so iam not sure were to put my new klipsch surrounds when i get them. The way they are now is really accurate sound for dvd but you really cant her them on movies on regular tv. This may have to do with the little cambridge speakers i have. Please some one help because i dont want to put more holes in the wall if i dont have to,and especially if it is superior this way i have it now.

Have you thought about hanging them from the ceiling? Someone posted pictues some time ago with RC3's (I think) on the ceiling, and painted to match. With them mounted on the back walls, they wouldn't be aimed at your listening position, unless you angle them down.

I used to have my RC3's mounted on boxes that were attached where the wall met the ceiling, and angled down to the couch. I have windows all down the right side walls so couldn't mount to the walls. That was the best compromise I could come up with at the time.

I have almost the exact same setup. My room is 13x24 with doors on both sides of the couch. I put mine on the side walls facing the couch and it does much better for movies then behind since the couch is against the rear wall. If you can't or don't want to deal with the ceiling, I'd go with the side walls. Try it by putting them on a temporary stand of some sort about 5-7 feet high then mount to the wall when you're sure you like the sound. Good luck.