If You Could Build The Perfect Room For Khorns . . . .

In the next couple of years, I'm going to be building a room specifically for my Khorns. I'm in the planning stages right now and I'd like some input.

Within reason, but not skimping, what would you do if you could to create the perfect listening environment for a pair of Khorns, tubes, nice DAC, vinyl, etc... Material choices, size and proportion, angled walls, soundproofing, seating position, equipment location, etc...

A couple of things that I'm thinking about. . . . having the equipment nearer to my seating position, or perhaps right in front, built into a custom rack so I can reach the non-remote controls without going all the way across the room. Cork flooring. The wall behind the seating position built at a slight angle (not parallel) with the wall the Khorns are on. Using beams on the ceiling to help cut down on reflections from the ceiling. Having a 32' diagonal measurement to the rectangle shaped room. Masonry block walls.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg

Khorns in a room designed for Khorns is the way to go. Kudos for your planning, will be well worth the investment.

I have done both angleing the rear wall, bouncing the sound down towards the carpet, and built a convex back wall. If your back wall is say 10 feet or more behind you the angle will be fine, otherwise the convex is better to dispurse the initial bounce. I usually do the same on the rear of the side walls too. Otherwise, convex pannels like Artos room are great since you can move them arround and use them as the decorations for the room.

If you put your components right in front of you, run conduit in your floor to your Khorns. Would hate to see somebody trip on your 12 Ga and damage a binding post on your amps.

JM

Chris, if I bring the 928 down, it will be to bring it to the shop for service! Damn hand-built German money pit! I can't bring myself to sell it though, it's like a piece of art sitting in the garage, which is what it does most of the time! That would be great if you can forward the pictures of Artto's room.

JM - Thanks for the convex wall idea, I like that. I would like to get some more feedback on the idea of putting the equipment in front of the seating area. I have thought about this, but the equipment would need to stay fairly low, maybe just a bit higher than coffee table height. I want to be able to clearly see the speakers. I've had mixed results with permanently locating things like conduit or floor receptacles. This new room will be on a slab foundation, so careful planning would be necessary. But it seems that even with very careful planning, things can end up in the wrong place. It also doesn't leave room for flexibility down the road. Theres's also the issue of the length of speaker wire. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have the amps closer to the speakers, but then the line between the preamp and amp would be very long.

Thanks fini for the thread, maybe the photos are in there, I'll check it out. I do have a lot of the Dope From Hope papers. I guess I was looking for more feedback from the forum members about their own personal experiences.

Greg