my DIY sub (everyone has one these days)

tpg

I am currently in the process of building a sub using the Adire DPL12- absolutely beautiful woofer. A shame to stick it in a box. Anyway, I will be using an SVS approach. My sub uses 16" wide sonotube, 46" tall internally, dampened around inside of tube, with 4" Wx 20"L port tuned to 16Hz. This yields an almost linear response (not taking into effect the driver's own natural roll-off) down to 16Hz. Models up nicely in WinISD. Internal volume is 5.35cu.ft.

Amplification has been a major issue... I tried a tube amp, no go. So, now I shall be ordering either an Apex Senior (350W@4-ohm) or Parts Express (272W@4-ohm) soon. I am leaning towards the Apex. Anyone have any experience with it? I might mod it a tad... change the bass corner resistor, and add more capacitance. 4x6800uF is just not enough for me. MUWAHAHA

Sound good?

The Apex Senior is a good amp but for a little less you can get the Rythmik Audio 350w amp which adds adjustable subsonic filter and defeatable boost.

I've also read about a HTF member who's Apex Jr. died after a few months and they offered no help to repair or replace the amp. The Rythmik amps have a clear warranty if anything goes wrong.

Is anyone following the thread about the new 18" Beast Mk-II over at HTF? They're trying to get people together for a group buy on it. It's an 18" sub with 30mm Xmax. It's capable of 7L Vd and costs $499(same as Tumult). One of the guys heading this up works for Klipsch. Check out the site:

Go to Photos>>>theBeast Mk-II to see pictures. Make sure you check out the pic of it on the hand cart.

http://jdb3.com/ra

I'm considering buying one of these.

Here's the thread from HTF:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=e539b93636f060ea0e95f77bed013b12&threadid=140430&perpage=30&display=&pagenumber=1