lighting

amonteiro

I have a Cinemaquest ideal lume and have it placed with the bulb up on the floor behind the TV which is a Mits 65" WS. It creates a nice glow behind the TV when watching with all of the lights off and I think it really does ease eye strain and fatigue. I don't find it to be distracting.

I found that light in front of my seating was distracting (the two lamps on the Belle's), so I went with indirect overhead lighting. It cost me about $200 in wood & $100 in lighting. I already had the X-10 controller for dimming. Since I am not great with woodworking, it is just a simple corner shelf with 36 15-watt bulbs, and goes around the back & both sides. I also have my remote set to auto-dim them when I hit play, & brighten when I hit pause or stop.

I might add that the beam in the center of the room was already there due to a remodel. This room used to be 2 bedrooms.

im006702.jpg

im006703.jpg

wow. That looks really good. If I owned a place I'd try and do that but since I'm still renting it kinda sucks.

Anyway I'm going to get the MX 500 which has x10 controls so I'll be doing something similar with the controller. I was thinking of just going to home depot and looking for a tube light that dims. And seeing how that works behind the tv. Couldn't bee to expensive I don't think.

Yea.. the renting thing does hurt. I tried to find dimmable florescent lighting, but it was way out of my price range. Rope light was not bright enough. I finally had to go with many small bulbs, hoping it would not leave spots. I was really happy with the way it turned out.

The MX-500 remote does a great job with the X-10, but you need an infra-red converter, as it does not do RF. Also, you may want to look at the MX-700. Same remote but with computer link & a side kick remote. It was priced too high when I bought mine, but is much lower now.

There's really no reason why you can't do it yourself. The ideal light is one which has a color temperature of 6500 degrees on the Kelvin scale. This will not distort the color temperatures of the video display. I'm not sure, but I think the new GE "Reveal" bulbs might be close to the 6500 color temp. You don't want the lights to be too bright, though, so you don't defeat the purpose of the darkened room.

I bought a $10 flourescent fixture at Wal-Mart ("under-cabinet" use); I had to go to a specialty lighting place for the 12-inch 6500K ("Natural" light) bulb (about $4 each). I have it on the floor behind my 55" Mits; angled correctly (bulb up, leaning towards the wall), it matches the bias lighting test on the Avia disk. Works for me, with no eye strain, and all for around 15 bucks (I already had Avia for calibrating the Mits).

Here's what I did:

Bought 4 Street-Glow tubes that are used under cars. Put 3 of them on top of entertainment center. With the trim,they are not seen. I then stuck the forth one behind the tv.

Went to Radio Shack and got a 12 volt power supply and 3 y-Adapters,allowing my to plug all 4 into the same unit. I have the power supply underneath. I just reach down and flick one switch and they are all on. They really look cool at night,seeing a green glow on my ceiling!