If anyone has a sony str-de935... help

JHoff80

OK i know this is supposed to be for klipsch stuff mostly... but anyway heres my question...

i was sitting downstairs on my computer... and i turned the dial on my receiver up to 12 o clock... after about 20 minutes, the music stopped and it showed protector on the display. i went to the sony website and it said that this can be caused by overheating when the receiver is at maximum volume... but heres the problem... it wasn't max volume.. it was only halfway! i even had this tiny fan pointed at it to keep it cool because i knew that it gets pretty hot... but i went and touched it and i think i almost burned my hand... so heres the question... what exactly can be done about this? is this just a fault of the cheap receiver i got or is it defective? i got it about a year ago.. and the only other time i turned it up that loud, the transformer blew and i had to get that repaired, and even when i was there i told the guy that it got really hot.. and he said sony receivers are like that... so i guess what i'm asking is what can i do about it... thanks

No your problem is not just a cheap receiver ITS A SONY!! I don't have, or ever used the unit you have, but I've had Sony before.

First of all, half way on the volume control is full power. On these, anything more than half, your risking damage to you speakers and receiver.

Before I switched to the Yamaha RX-V1000 (which I highly recommend) I had the Sony STR-V333ES and than I tried the STR-V444ES. I still have a Sony Pro-logic in my second room. They all ran extremely hot. No exaggeration, I could burn my hand on the top if I had it on loud for a while. So yes it most likely overheated. Also, all three of my Sony receivers went into protect very often.

My suggestion, Sony makes some fantastic products (including TVs). High end receivers are not one of them. Switch to another brand if you can!

Yeah but thats the one thing it had going for it... it was only 500 when i bought it.

I've been looking at the denon 3800... but the problem is..i'm 16... i'm going to need to buy a car in like 4 months... don't really wanna spend too much cash right now.. maybe i could sell it on ebay based on the name sony lol

jh, i was just recently right where u are. had the sony de935 (i even got the 5 yr extended warranty for a total of 550 @ circuit city. figured that may be best for it but i never tend to get extended warranties).

anyway, i just got a new marantz sr8000 & moved the sony to the back room as a preamp for my old kenwood 2 channel receiver. that way i can use the sony remote for volume, on/off & such.

the sony just doen't have the bigger transformer & higher current to really drive klf speaks. i mean it sounded all right & 1/2 way up was plenty loud enough for me. unfortuneatly the sony has no preouts besides the sub preouts(has 2 of them though, go figure) so hooking up a power amp for 5.1 use

is not a possibility there.

so hopefully it's loud enough for u before it gives up if u can't go out & get another receiver. a man's gotta have his wheels & you'll need a good system there too biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster Standard Cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires/Bananas

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (power amp for RF-3)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Well.. i was actually outside the house and listening to it when it was at that volume if you wanna know the truth... god.. even only halfway on the dial and i heard it a few blocks down at the park playing basketball.. but thats besides the point.. i paid 500 for the thing.. it shouldn't be doing this.... its like the sheer principle of it that bothers me.. if ur going to make a receiver and say its 110watts by 5, it shouldn't turn itself off after a half hour, am i right? Thats what I think.. and sonys japanese.. i thought the japanese companies always based themselves on quality and not quantity.. but i guess thats just the history books talking from my experiences.. i mean i have a sony cd changer and a md deck... and those are great.... just the receiver pisses me off lol.

Trash the Sony. Im still using the STR DA50ES and it has burned up several pairs of quintets. It sounds too harsh for klipsch speakers IMO. I has ALOT of really cool features but it lacks in sound. I use my older Harman Kardon for my big klipsches. Less watts but better sound. If anyone uses marantz, how does it sound for the price?

cls72@hotmail.com

thanks

cls, the new marantz sounds great w/ my klipsch. real tube like full, rich sound. & the pronto like learning

remote is great too. like klipsch u gotta pay, but w/ the remote & the sound imo it's a great value for my $1k (see my post under HT. still working on that bass mgmt set-up though).

------------------

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster XP & Z series cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires/Bananas

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (power amp for RF-3)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

OK I am completely done with anything sony. I emailed them telling them what the EXACT problem was. I said, "I read that it says at maximum volume listening the unit will overheat and activate protector mode but its doing this at a volume of halfway up." Listen to this bull they sent back.

"Thank you for contacting SONY.

When the PROTECTOR light is displayed, that means a short-circuit problem has activated the protective circuit. This can happen for a couple of different reasons.

First, unplug the receiver from the wall power and let the unit sit unplugged for 2 to 3 hours. Plug the unit back in.

Disconnect all of the speaker wires from the rear of the receiver. Use a Q-Tip lightly moistened with alcohol (not dripping), clean around the jacks, and then wait approximately five minutes.

Power on the receiver. If the receiver powers on, continue with the next step. If the receiver still does not power on, it will need to be serviced.

Power off the receiver and connect the main (A) left and right speaker. Power on the receiver. If the receiver powers on, continue connecting one pair of speakers at a time to find the problem set.

NOTE: Verify that the receiver is powered off before connecting or disconnecting any speakers.

If the receiver does not power with the main speakers connected, check the speaker wires for shorts or removed shielding. Replace these wires and reconnect them to the receiver.

If the receiver still does not power on, verify the speaker impedance rating. Select this impedance on the rear of the receiver. Sony receivers are not compatible with speakers rated below 4 ohms.

If both the A and B speakers are being powered by the receiver at the same time, the surround sound option must be shut off.

If the receiver is played back at maximum volume level it will enter the protect mode. Maximum volume listening will cause the receiver to run very hot, and it will totally drain the output capacitors, causing the receiver to enter the protect mode."

I mean what the hell! I told them exactly what was wrong with it... i knew what the problem was.. i knew why it was happening.. and all i was doing was complaining... so why the hell does he try to explain to me the problem??? i swear sometimes people are so stupid... if i could i'd refund the piece of crap right now... but anyway.. would it do any good to yell at the guy for the poor 'service' i got?

jhoff, yea i tried biwiring the sony de935 last nite w/ some of that heavy monster cable & it really drained the power. still no protection mode cept when i tried hooking up both the a & b terminals to the same rf-3 (whoops). thing really had the HISS too, even in stereo mode.

the biwire did produce a different sound/stereo imaging. my complete test results are still pending.

------------------

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster XP & Z cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX1s Biwires/Bananas

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

jh, just thought of - have u tried setting the switch on the back to 4ohm?

------------------

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster XP & Z cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!