Preamp for Parasound 1205a?

LoLo

The ol' Denon just isn't cutting it in it's preamp/processing duties any more. Would like to step up to a 7.1 pre/pro that would mate well with the Parasound and my Ref-3s. Any experiences and/or advice would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure what model "ol denon" you have,but I use the Denon 3803(very good w/music) with my 1205a and rf7's,VERY happy.I shopped the seperate pre/pro's,about 2k(new) for a good basic unit to meet the same needs.

LoLo-

I use to use my Parasound with a Denon 3801, but now its running with an Acurus ACT-3 pre/pro. The difference between the 3801 and ACT-3 was truely night and day. Compared to the ACT-3, the denon was dull and clouded. But, you would expect some differences since the ACT-3 (upgraded) uses the same DACs as the $4000 Stage One pre/pro.

For pre/pros less then say $4000, you have quite a few options (i'm going to suggest new units, but if used is an option then you might try that). Some of them that come to mind are

Outlaw 950 (~$1000)

Rotel RSP-1098

Rotel RSP-1066

Anthem AVM20

Bryston SP1.7

Aragon Stage One

-Dave