Heresy's with sub... advice needed

Daddy Dee

Friends,

I've got a buddy who has had a pair of Heresy's since we were in school, and that was back when God was young. He just hasn't listened to them much in years, some kind of ss receiver setup. He is mostly into watching sports on television. In fact, it might say on his tombstone epitaph: "He Watched Sports". Anyway, he has gotten pumped listening to La Scala's on my 299b and wants to make the trip to tube land. He's agonizing because he just doesn't have the space in his place for La Scalas. My suggestion to him is to get a nice sub which should be able to be tuned seamlessly with the Heresy's and feed it with the center channel of a 299 or something similar, if he decides to go vintage tubes. Even though I have coveted Heresy's for many years, it has turned out my first Klipsch in the house have been La Scalas, so I don't have the experience, or the knowledge base to tell him what to expect in terms of a real compare and contrast. I know the drivers are the same (excluding the woofer of course) and have read some interesting posts on different results with different horns. Also, I am a true believer in the difference a good crossover makes having listened first to Klipsch AA and then ALK. Would appreciate any info and advisement.

Regards. Hope this Father's Day is a blessing to you all.

Dee

P.S.

Forgot to mention that today is my (our) 23rd wedding anniversary. Am I ever glad I didn't marry some of the women I was dating back when I was anxious that all the good ones are disappearing! 6.gif Thank you Jan, for our time walking through the seasons together.

I've been thinking that I'd order a nice Sunfire True Sub for our anniversary. Something that would be a complement to my (our) La Scalas!1.gif

The 11x11x11 looks like it will have a higher WAF than the SVS!

Thanks.

Dee

Dee,

I ran Heresy's with a Klipsch KSW-15 Sub and found with some serious tuning that the sound was very nice. The biggest wow comes from other people who hear the system and are very suprised by the big open sound from such small speakers. It takes 2 people to tune the sub but the best starting place I found was setting the subs Xover to about 60hz and turning the sub up to where it just starts to make audible sound with you there adjusting it. The trick is to NOT actually hear the Sub. Many of my friends never even knew a sub was in my system.

I know the specs listed on the Klipsch site say the Lascala only reach 54hz but the specs listed in the "Dope from Hope" papers say 45hz and I think mine truly go there without dropping off. I have played with using a sub with my Lascalas and found it just is not needed it sounds better without.

Craig

Congratulations! You are truly fortunate to have a marriage that has lasted so long.

A good sub will make Heresys nearly the equivalent of Klipschorns, and then some. Sure, there is a difference in the crossover point from the squawker to the woofer. The Klipschorn is more efficient. And the Klipschorn may be able to produce a bit cleaner bass. Otherwise, the sound is the same considering Heresys, Klipschorns and everything in between in the Heritage line used the same tweeter and squawker driver, and similar squawker horn designs.

And a good sub is able to go lower than any of the Klipsch Heritage series speakers.

Don't know about powering a passive sub with tubes. If you are just trying to go as low as a LaScala or other big Heritage line speaker, it should be doable. If you want to pick up the extra ocatave or so below the point where they roll off, say to reproduce long organ pipes, you will want serious power. Personally, I would just go with a powered sub. But, then, I am not a tube purist.

----------------

On 6/14/2003 8:05:15 AM DaddyDee wrote:

P.S.

Forgot to mention that today is my (our) 23rd wedding anniversary. Am I ever glad I didn't marry some of the women I was dating back when I was anxious that all the good ones are disappearing!
6.gif
Thank you Jan, for our time walking through the seasons together.

I've been thinking that I'd order a nice Sunfire True Sub for our anniversary. Something that would be a complement to my (our) La Scalas!
1.gif

The 11x11x11 looks like it will have a higher WAF than the SVS!

Thanks.

Dee

----------------

Congrats to the both of you on your 23rd. Our 21st is coming soon (my how time flys) but back to the subject at hand. I am now running an RSW-12 with my cornwalls (as of yesterday) through the center channel of my scott 299b. Corns go way lower than heresys but it basically gives you unlimited low-end for music and would give the herseys all the bass needed (and more). I would highly recommend that your friend go with that type of set-up if he wants to go to tubes and desires more bass. A good powered sub through that center channel shakes the house. He'll be amazed at the difference. Just my $.02.

Many great options here in various price ranges, but yes - the use of a good sub with Heresy is very nice indeed. The mid range will remain a bit shallow on the Xover freq, but otherwise you get a fantastic upgrade feel to your loudspeakers.

The good choices on subs (that I have heard) include SVS tubes, HSU tubes, HSU VTF3 (VTF2 if you aren't terribly concerned with extension nor have a really large room), Sunfire and Velodyne's HGS line. I found (for my ears) the best price performance was SVS and the worst was Sunfire (sound is great just a tad pricey) - regardless all should work very well with Heresy.

happy to hear that you and yours made it 23 years daddydee...it takes a lot of understanding to go the distance...I think Garymd and his,and me and mine were about the same time. AS for the sub...are the Heresys in or near a corner...I know it's a stupid question, but you never know,It just might help a bit I've done that with smaller speakers and it's amazin' what kind of response you get