Survey#2: If you like ...

Colin

this artist, then you really should listen to ...

I often begin the listening portion of the evening with Sting, or Paul Simon or Simply Red, but I usually end up with the simply played notes of Diana Krall.

Since I am back on the air, I would like to know what you recommend. I'll go first:

If you like Anita Baker, you really should listen to Toni Braxton.

If you like Dido, you really will love Sarah McLachlan

If you like Kwiko Matsui, you really ought to check out Enya ....

------------------

Guest BobG

Colin, I am in 100% agreement. Diana Krall truly floats my boat. I even checked about having her play a private gig. It was too much for the company to spend for the occasion, but I gave a lot of thought to a personal sponsorship.

Great music.

Try Patricia Barber "Companion". It's a lot darker stuff but very strong.

If you like Radiohead, then you sould try Camper van Beethoven (especially Key Lime Pie)

If you like Trisha Yearwood then you should try Judy Garland (yes, I'm serious... especially Live at Carnagie Hall)

If you like Neil Young's acoustic (as opposed to electic) stuff, then you should try Jackson Browne

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

I just love Holly Cole. So, would I like Patricia Barber and/or Diana Krall? That is the question. They've both had a lot of good press. But I bought Cassandra Wilsons' "New Moon Daughter" for that reason, and I just...can't...get into it. At least not yet.

As for a recommendation or two, I'd say If you like Alison Krauss, Try the Cox Family;

If you like Mary Chapin Carpenter, you'll probably like Kathy Mattea;

If you like Emmylou Harris and old Everly Brothers stuff, you'll almost certainly like The Louvin Brothers old recordings, if you can find them. (LOOK!)

If you love Roy Orbison, you'll love Chris Isaak.

------------------

JDMcCall

I am surprized at this thread - I thought it woulld be major!

I do find that Diana Krall floats my boat and me along with it. Its something so right its apt to assume you

In fact, at night, with the lights down low and the fish tanks lights off, after the tubes have warmed up and the dial is touched gently above nine oclock, I sit in the sweet spot and swoon to her deliberate crooning and masterful plinking. I do not know if I am truly a jazz fan, but I do know that I can not get enough of the soft brushing of the cymbals, the strident and deep vibrations of a forcefully plucked bass note or the fast snap on the drums.

One of the very first albums I received was Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, which lead to Woodstock, which lead to an armful of great artists who endure to this day. Among them was Jackson Browne, whose No Nukes concert tour lead me to Bonnie Raitt, though somehow I do not have any Emmylou Harris in my collection. Bonnie and Jackson Browne did lead me to Joan Baez, who in turn lead me to Bob Dylan and then, somehow, to Roy Orbison.

I do see Holly Cole referenced frequently in stereo reviews. But I have yet to see any of her music for sale at the used CD stores. So I may have to break down and buy one at full cost (I can still return it if I dont like it right? I mean they wont charge me twice the price and give me half the service, will they?)

Thanks, more coming ...

If you like the sultry old style jazz renditions of Diana Krall, check out K.D. Lang, particularly her second to last CD, Drag (Warner 1997). Dressed in a mans suit in every picture, the gay singer is clearly having fun with the motif of the album. Every song has some oblique reference to smoking:

1. Don't Smoke In Bed

2. The Air That I Breathe

3. Smoke Dreams

4. My Last Cigarette

5. The Joker

6. Theme From The Valley Of The Dolls

7. Your Smoke Screen

8. My Old Addiction

9. Till The Heart Caves In

10. Smoke Rings

11. Hain't It Funny?

12. Love Is Like A Cigarette

Although not as simple as Dianas two man band, since Lang combines strings and guitar in her pieces, the affect is similar to Dianas work. Slow, methodic, deliberate, uncrowded singing and notes. Quite professional. Delicious and pure. Currently spinning in second place behind Diana on the late night playlist.

If you loved the playful, childlike qualities of Rickie Lee Joness explosive hit Chuck Es in Love song on her debut album, and have been waiting, as I have, (16 years) for her to return with something just as good, check out Sheryl Crows debut Tuesday Night Music Club. By and large, the songs are emotionally raw, yet literate with snappy rhythms. The very best kind of rock n roll. Foot tapping stuff with intelligent lyrics. Not hard rock not soft rock either. Her big hit was "All I Wanna Do"- won a Grammy as 1994's Record of the Year. Similar artists are said to be Alanis Morissette, Sarah McLachlan, Jewel and Natalie Merchant, though none of them capture the youthful zest of Rickie Lee Jones or Sheryl Crow. (Except perhaps for Jewel, whose unpolished performances reflect either youthful exuberance or just plain inexperience.)

Along the same vein, look for smooth rock gold by vocalist Marti Jones.

If Alanis floats your boat (and I hope that she is just getting started, because her singing and her writing could make her one of rocks legends) then check out the rocking style of Melissa Etheridge. Although I found her acappella performance last week as weak as Scotch & Water - without the Scotch; when she has a full band backing her, this lady can hammer out rock n roll in such a moving way that it is dangerous. Dangerous in the way that Jim Morrison threatened our established sensibilities. Dangerous in the way that Janis Joplin made us think about our values. Dangerous in the way that brings town fathers running and the righteous fetching their bibles.

If you like the best female singer in rock today, the incomparably sweet and high voice of Sarah McLachlin, go see the lyrically gentle and touching City of Angels movie with Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan. Then check out the almost equally gifted new Irish artist, Dido, with her hit song Thank You.

The very best concert experience anyone can have is an intimate setting with a mega star. Huge expenditures on massive stereo systems are cheap when compared to what a personal evening with a giant star can cost. And yet that is just what I got, just a few decades ago, when Joan Armatrading burst on the national scene with a big hit. She played the cozy venue of the Gutherie Theater in Minneapolis with the biggest grin on her face. Her third album, Joan Armatrading, back in 1976, splashed her name across the nation. Reveling in her sudden success, she gave a joyously wonderful concert a few feet away from my seat. Armatrading has since been nominated twice for the Best Female Vocalist Grammy.

If you like the smooth chocolate velvet of her voice, check out the rocking folk singer, Tracy Chapman. Or the smooth jazz singer Cassandra Wilson, although one of the more compelling tunes on her New Moons Daughter, is a foot tapping rendition of the Monkeys, (yes, the Monkeys) Last Train to Clarksville.

If you like the smooth jazzy guitar tunes of George Benson, you really should look for similar fare from Earl Klugh, if you do not know about him already.

If you like Roy Orbison or Bob Dylan, check out The Travelling Wilburies (great celebrity band with George Harrison and the Boss, Bruce Springsteen).

Finally, in the classical music arena, if the you like the discipline and upbeat tempo of Mozart, check out Tchiakovskys other work (he wrote other pieces besides Swan Lake and the 1812 Overture). Look at his Symphony #2 or #6, for example. Much better than the showy stuff that made him a legend.

Colin,

Do you know if the 2 Traveling Wilburys are OOP? I looked for them on CD Now, bur didn't come up with anything. I already have them, but was looking for a friend. Guess I'll burn them for him. Anyone want them, while I'm at it? Just send the postage back to me when you get them. E-mail me if interested.