Front projector reviews

Tom Adams

Steve Smallcombe at Secrets of Home Theater (http://www.hometheaterhifi.com) is one of my favorite reviewers of projectors. He is very through and measures alot of things, his review of subjective picture quality aspects is somewhat shorter then you would find at say Projector Central, but I find he limits the BS and hype much more.

At Secrets website, you will have to hunt through the issues to find his reviews (he does all of the projector reviews) but its well worth it.

-Dave

PS: I'm waiting at home for my new projector to arrive (Sanyo PLV-Z1) so I should be able to give you a mini review if you are intrested in the low cost option projectors.

i have been enjoying one of the all-time BEST video values-the sony vpl-hs10 front projector, since december '02. i have also sold about 40 of them! wxga resolution (1366x768)

suprisingly good on-board scaler/processor, UNBELEIVABLE hi-def picture quality, and a dvi/hdcp compatable input.

we sell them for about $2,500 at a $3k retail price point. the picture quality is so good (at 106" diagonal), i hardly use my sony kv36XBR450 hd-flat tube any more. avs forum is a good source for info, however take negative comments about any product w/a grain of salt because someone is more likely to complain than praise on that forum.

avman.

Thanks guys for the info. I've checked out Projector Central before and found some good info there. Will have to check out the other suggestions too.

The Yamaha LPX-500 that my dealer has up & running (and quoted me a price for)is a very nice unit. However, the Optoma H56 seems (on paper) to be as good or better for about the same money. Additionally, the new Optoma H76 catches my eye if the rumored price is true. I know it's probably unfair to compare the LCD Yamaha to the DLP Optoma, but...maybe not. I dunno. This stuff is rather new to me still.

Tom Adams

LCD vs. DLP is just one of many religious wars. I've typically felt the color and contrast is waaaay better on DLP projectors but at a very hefty price premium. I recently demoed the Sony Cizena ($3k) vs. a $10k DLP unit (model escapes me), the difference was clear, and clearly out of my price range too.

Just like anything else in Home Theater you have to take all factors into consideration and perhaps try to balance shortcomings in once piece out with the strengths of another. If your room is 100% dark, you don't need a lot of lumens, if your projector doesn't quite have the contrast you want get a screen that compliments it, etc.

The InFocus 7200, DWIN T3 and the Virtuoso gets alot of air time over on AVS Forum. The range is from $6000 - $10000 for these DLP units.

Another value based unit is the NEC HT1000. This can be had for under 4K but you need a light controlled room for the most part as I understand the feedback from it's owners. Hey, I look at most of my movies at night anyway. This would only be affected by craving for sporting events that are during the day, primarly football and NASCAR.

I'm waiting to go to CEDIA to see all the new buzz.

Regards,

Mike

Tom-

If you like the Yamaha LPX-500, look at the Epson TW100(H/UG) its the same projector as the Yamaha, minus a cosmetic change or two and slightly better menu structure. However, due to Yamaha NOT allowing website dealers, it cost about $1200 more then the Epson TW100.

The Epson was my original pick for a projector, but i couldn't really justify the $2200 more then the Sanyo Z1 for higher resolution and DVI. I did get in my Z1 last night, spent a bit of time doing basic setup. I am projecting onto a white wall for roughly a 72" screen. I was using a Sharp NoteVision 3 (1024x768 resolution, 100:1 contrast ratio, 1000 ANSI lumens, LOUD fans, and lots of light leakage) needless to say, I'm VERY happy with the Z1 in most areas. The colors are vivid and dynamic, black levels are not great....but compared to the Sharp, I can live with it. You do have to limit the size of the screen, since screendoor can be quite distracting if you go too large. Currently, my screen is about 65-70" in width. Depending on your room configuration, if you can spend the extra money, it might be worth it to get the extra resolution.

As for the previously mentioned Sony HS10, its a good projector, but it is 4x3 and if you watch mainly DVDs then get a 16x9 projector. Most of the 4x3 material that I do watch is cable TV, and you HAVE to limit the size to keep if from looking TOO bad.

-Dave

Once again....I sincerely appreciate the suggestions, opinions, info and feedback from you guys. At this point my brain is telling me that at, let's say, the $3000 price point, there will be several projector offerings to choose from. Ho boy.....I can feel the confusion settling in to my brain.

Looks like it's homework time. 1.gif

Tom Adams

Drpyro-HOLD THE PHONE!!!

the hs-10 is DEFINITELY 16:9 (Wxga resolution 1366x 768)

i'm in 'the biz' and it is an EXCEPTIONAL VALUE!

btw-i like your signature

3.gif

TOM-P.M. ME OR E-MAIL

steve@noav.com

i want to talk w/you about pj's2.gif

avman.

Avman-

Doh....I had it in my mind that the Sony was a 4:3. I don't know why I was thinking that, my mind must be completely hosed. Yes, the Sony HS10 is an excelent value, DVI (with HDCP), excelent resolution. My only grip with the sony from the reviews I have read (I have never seen it) is that to get good color balance you really need a magenta (CC30 or CC40) filter and most reports have indicated that the the newer projectors have slightly better black levels.

-Dave

i have mine set up (since xmas) w/the supplied 'cinema filter' and have used a video setup disc like avia to calibrate it. very good tech specs (w/minimal ajustments) for various video parameters that can be measured by using that disc, and i still havent gone into the service/factory menus to ajust panel driver gain and bias.

the aftermarket color filter(s) recommended w/corresponding panel gain/bias tweaks do result in better performance and allow a feeling of accomplishment for the 'tweaker'. i will get around to that, as well as possibly some outboard (htpc?) processing eventually. my next 'tweak' will probably be a stewart firehawk screen as it dramatically improves pq over the dalite hcmw screen i have now. the filter(s) and panel drive ajustments will probably follow that. i'm hoping by the time i get it maxed out (2-3yrs.?) the sxrd pj's will be affordable ($5k?).

i had 2 co-workers see the sxrd pj and they said "it was the BEST picture i have EVER seen-EVER!!"

avman.

Avman,

I will probably be getting a new TV in the next few months. It will probably be a RPTV, but the HS-10 has gotten my attention recently. One question that I have is how much does one need to spend to get a good screen? Also, my impression (from reading) is that the FPTVs are awesome for DVDs but not as good for sources such as satellite. Should I stay away from FPTVs if satellite is the majority of my viewing?

Mark-

I'll answer, but I'm sure AVMan will toss his opinion too.

The main reason that Sat or Cable TV looks...ummm...like garbage on projectors is that typical screen sizes are on the order of 80" - 100". Sat & Cable tv are highly compressed, use the lowest bit rates possible, and are low resolution for SDTV (HDTV is completely different), so when you blow them up about twice the size of a standard rear projection TV, it tends not too look that good. If you scale the FP down to the size of a standard RPTV, then you really won't notice too much of a difference. Depending on the type of RPTV, you might get better black levels and easier hookup of components, so its really a trade-off.

Basically, Garbage in = Garbage out which is very true for SDTV Cable & Sat TV.

-Dave

You'll probably need to spend $800-$1000 for a good glass bead screen that is just wall mounted, more if you want a saucy motorized roll-up one. Keep in mind the screen will likely outlast your projector

pyro is right, front projectors really aren't for watching the morning news. Then again, I'm not too picky about having "The Weather Channel" or "The Drew Carey Show" look their best either :)