Klipsch room placement?

Thors1982

This is a direct quote I heard

"Klipsch are terrific speakers but they need to be placed correctly, more so than other high ends. They produce a sound you either love or hate in different positions. Need to be careful and see if you have adequate alternative spots to place them if they dont work out in one spot."

I currently live in a house built in 1902. I will probably end up moving into a small appartment after college too. I don't really have a great room to put them in now and was just wondering how true that quote is and if im going to regret paying 3 grand just because i can't position them right. Like i said old house, it definately doesn't have a good home theater room. Also I am extremely new to audio stuff in general so I am already worried im goign to buy all this stuff and never be able to hook it up 3.gif

The information you received is true with regard to the Klipsch Cornerhorn. It must be placed in a corner (though I've seen "alternate" installations) and the toe-in angle is built into the speaker. Thus, some rooms are more suited to them than other rooms.

With any other Klipsch speaker, the information is not accurate. One of the benefits of Klipsch's recent horn designs is the ability to very accurately control where in the room the sound goes. This makes placement more flexible than with other brands. Need to put the speaker very near a side wall? Just toe it in to avoid early reflections off that wall.

Again, placement on all but the Khorn is less difficult than with other brands.

Some Klipsch speakers are ported on the rear side of the speaker. These speakers should be about 18 inches from the wall for best results.

I have my RF-7s and the rest of my 7.1 Klipsch system in less than ideal positions. I love the sound that the system produces. The horns are a very flexible design. Friends like the sound in my theater better than the local cineplex.

Bill

Thanks everyone, well like i said the house im in now was built in 1902 so I have the space(huge rooms)... its just tall ceilings, almost impossible to find a square room. Its just weird, but im in college now so I am sure I will be in a crappy apartment soon :-) so thanks for all the information.

If you have an old house with wood floors and tall ceilings, you'll be very happy - with probably any speaker. I had my heresy's in an old house on the floor - they never sounded better. Now I have them on a wood box since we moved. Wood floors are fantastic, and i'm sure you have some in a 1902 house. I'd be more worried on a slab than an old house - not with klipsh, just in general.

I've got a 32 inch TV and have my RF 3 IIs right next to the tv. I believe min distance apart suggestion is 6 feet. I used a mag light with a narrow focus on my chair to get the toe in for my sweet spot. The sound stage is so neat that when I'm staring at the TV I swear the sounds are coming out of the CRT. It's great anywhere in my little apartment. Someone suggested the flashlight thing. It's cool. Also, I use the spikes to minimize the vibrations through the floor. That made a big difference.

Doug