are old recievers still good?

andre-k

I was wondering if it was worth using an older onkyo reciever for a two channel set up with some sf-2's. I heard that the old onkyo stuff was made better then the new stuff, is that true? I dont have a model number but the reciever is a good 6 years old. So does anyone have any comments on using an old reciever?

Nothing wrong with using an older receiver for 2-channel. It's probably built as well or better than the newer 2-channel receivers. BTW, 6 years is not old. A refurbished 25 year old receiver is way better than what they make today in most cases. Vintage 70s SS receivers sound much better than today's models. Audition a newer model and compare. You can always return it to an authorized dealer.

There have been discussions about rock bottom prices for a 2-channel system. The receiver that gets the most recommendations is the older SS H/K for around $50.

I have a denon avr2000 which is about the age of your Onkyo and I use it for my downstairs HT and music in my family room. It's similar to the current Denon $500 receivers today in sound but with notably outdated surround features. For my purposes it's fine because I have my 40 year old tube gear and Cornwalls upstairs. I wouldn't expect the older (6 years isn't too old in amp terms but light years in DSP) denon to sound better than their current model...altough maybe not worse. I tend to group the Onkyo in with Denon but that's just a gut reaction not based on any data.

I have had 4 Onkyo receivers, starting in the late 70's. A friend bought my first one & is still using it today. My third one is now in my neighbors home, again working perfect. My last one in now 3 years old & in my current theater.

Garymd is right. 6 years old is really 6 years young. Give it a listen, & if it sounds good, it is good.