7.1 Suround? Really?

whell

I've seen folks posting that they are buying equipment/speakers to set up a 7.1 system. I have to ask (devils advocate, etc.): Why? I'm not seeing the software right now in the pipeline that justifies the expense. What am I missing?

My Denon AVR-4800 runs in 7 channel stereo mode all the time for regular listening, CD, Satellite Dish, etc. Of course 7.1 has not hit the DVD format market yet, I have the additional speakers already in place for it. 2 Mains, 1 Center, 2 Rear Surrounds (A), 2 Effects/Side Surrounds, 2 Rear Surrounds (B), plus 2 subwoofers. It adds additional ambience when watching items in DD 6.1, or DTS ES so why not.

Won't most dolby ex and dts-es receivers extrapolate the extra channel of information from a 6.1 source if you want? It's not faithful reproduction because you're inventing a channel thats not there though? Or, do they just play the same rear channel data through both rear surrounds?

You need the right processor.

The Lexicon I use for HT turns the 5.1 signal into 7.1 and does an amazing job. I ran it in 5.1 for a while and I like the 7.1 much better.

FYI - it can turn 2.0 into 7.1 as well. I have listened to some Techno and it is fun sounding in 7.1. Organ music is wild in 7.1.

JM

Still, its reproducing the music in a way that is not intended by the artist/producer/engineer, etc. If one enjoys the effect generated by the added signal processing, then more power to them. I guess that I'm a stick in the mud: don't want to add anything to the signal that is not already there, and getting the most faithful reproduction of the music.

Do you honestly think that music recording engineers record on only two channels? It is originally mixed in numerous tracks and mixed down, you are not hearing the original sound as it was recorded it has already been manipulated and remixed by engineers. My Denon uses NO signal processing to my knowledge when running in 7 channel mode it just takes the two channel signal and matrixes it into 7 channels. It sounds very good and much more realistic than a simple 2-channel system. Purists - Bah!

----------------

On 6/18/2003 10:59:14 AM whell wrote:

Still, its reproducing the music in a way that is not intended by the artist/producer/engineer, etc. If one enjoys the effect generated by the added signal processing, then more power to them. I guess that I'm a stick in the mud: don't want to add anything to the signal that is not already there, and getting the most faithful reproduction of the music.

----------------

I thought this was the HT forum? By golly it is. For a min I thought I was in the 2 ch forum.

1.gif

JM

Frzninvt:

Hate to burst a bubble here but your Denon is using a ton of signal processing to convert a 2 channel signal into 7 channels, especially if the processing requires an analog signal to be converted to digital for processing purposes.

If course I recognize that recording engineers use multi-track equipment to create a two channel recording. This has been the standard in the industry since the 1960's. However, the INTENT of the mixing process since stereo has been to acheive a multi-dimensional effect with two channels. To create 7 channels, the master tapes are re-accessed, and the recording is "re-engineered" to acheive a mutli-dimensional effect in 7 channels.

Much of what is being made available now in mutli-channel music are re-issues of classic recordings, that were originally recorded and mixed for 2 channel. Few recordings were originally recorded and mixed with the participation of the artist with the intent of producing multiple channels (originally quadrophonic). Steve Miller's Fly Like and Eagle comes to mind as an example of something that has been re-released in multi-channel, and was originally available and recorded for quadrophonic reproduction.

I own a few of these reissues, and I'm listening to then now in 5.1. While the presentation is unique, I don't think the presentation is beleivable, what with some instruments coming from behind me (when was the last time your were at a concert and the musicians were behind you?).

Just my $0.02.

----------------

On 6/18/2003 9:51:50 AM j-malotky wrote:

You need the right processor.

The Lexicon I use for HT turns the 5.1 signal into 7.1 and does an amazing job. I ran it in 5.1 for a while and I like the 7.1 much better.

FYI - it can turn 2.0 into 7.1 as well. I have listened to some Techno and it is fun sounding in 7.1. Organ music is wild in 7.1.

JM

----------------

i agree

lexicon has some good preamps for HT as well as music also

I LOVE THE LOGIC 7 feature.. and also the LOGIC music also.. yehh