When were my Cornwalls made?

Dr. Dave

I've had my Cornwalls since about 1984...I think (too many days of altered states back then to be sure). The sticker on the back says: Cornwall; Model CWO; Serial Number 31X933 (note: the third letter or digit is barely legible - it could be a "V" or even a "4"); Tested by: Jeannie Lamb. Can someone help me out with a date of manufacture? FYI, they are walnut finish, and except for one small nick on the corner of one of the base-pieces, they are in superb condition! They have the bamboo covers. And they sound v. sweet, indeed. Anyone know what they might be worth on the "open market'? Oh, they are NOT for sale! Thanks...

Dr. Dave:

It's my understanding your Cornwalls are manufactured in 1982. The alpha character in the serial number denotes the year of manufacture and is as follows:

1962 A

1963 B

1964 C

1965 D

1966 E

1967 F

1968 G

1969 H

1970 I

1971 J

1972 K

1973 L

1974 M

1975 N

1976 P

1977 R

1978 S

1979 T

1980 U

1981 W

1982 X

1983 Y

You will note that the letter V was not used and therefore I suspect it to be an X ('82) or a Y ('83). After 1983 usually the first two numbers of the serial number represent the year produced.

Not sure of their value. I paid $1750 Canadian for new ones back in 1981. They are Not nor will they EVER be for sale.

Sounds like a nice looking set!

Check under the "updating old speakers" section on the Bulletin Board, titled "Cornwall serial #'s". That should get you the birthdate of your Corns.

As for value, you can expect someone to pay

around $1000. Not sure if the bamboo grills

would add any value - depends on scarcity.

• 3 weeks later...