Need your take on this ST-70 rebuild on Ebay

Daddy Dee

"But that misses my point. Which is: ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, why use the 8417. I'm waiting......."

Man, you even took the time to put your caps on -- you must be getting cranky. :)

Hell, I don't know. Why are some circuits designed around the KT-88 instead of the 6550, or EL-84 instead of the EL-34? I would imagine it comes down to the designers personal preference based on the sound produced with that particular tube in the circuit.

At any rate, I did say I wasn't defending this ST-70 with this particular mod -- just the tube in general. I've spoken to Mike Sanders of Quicksilver a half dozen times, and it's apparent that he's still very fond of that tube. So I was just naturally surprised to see your comments. Of course your'e right, there are much better examples of ST-70's out there.

O.K. now I get it, and that makes sense. The Quicksilver line is pretty much centered around high power output -- so yeah, it's understandable why Mike Sanders would like the 8417. Now he has to run KT-88's to almost beyond their limits.