People that work at Best Buy - need some help

kenratboy

My brother will be getting a job there very soon. What aort of discounts do you get on the stuff there? I know it varies, but can you give some examples of items and their in-store cost, and then the employee discount cost? I would really appreciate it.

I have my eye on some of the computer stuff (RAM) and some more speakers and, well, a whole lot of stuff.

Also, how many months after employment before he can use the discount.

I am excited as hell.

This is what i heard but dunno if it is right.

People that work at best buy get to buy stuff for what best buy pays for it in bulk, plus 10%

So if a spool of monster cable is 50 dollars and best buy paid 5 dollars for it (very close to true) The employee gets to buy it for 5 dollars plus 10% of 5 dollars so 5.50?

While talking to a BB sales person, I discovered none of the salespeople work on commission. He did say, however, that the employee discounts were "generous" and that was one of the reasons for working there. Only problem: He didn't make enough money to afford the stuff he really wanted.8.gif

(How many BB's in Reno? I guess your brother will be working at the one on So. Virginia at McCarran?)

Just a side note: BestBuy is such a disappointment. If the Reno store is anything like the others, it's one big barn filled with a cacophony of sounds -- car stereos, TVs, portable players, et al. How can anyone seriously compare equipment? You can't ...

Cost + 5%.

30 days after his starting date to get the discount.

Computer stuff is almost nothing off. Its always cheaper just to buy stuff online. Audio equipment (car and home) is very nice. Depends if the company offers accomdation or not. We get 60-75% off JBL and Athena speaker because they let us order direct from the factory. Hard to pass those deals up.

Actually, the best discounts we get are through the manufacturer "accomodations" sites. 60+% off retail when we order direct from the manufacturer on JBL, Monster, Kenwood, and other brands.

Understand this, though.

If your brother gets caught allowing you to use his discount, he's fired. Parents, spouse, and children only - that's the policy.

We pay BB cost + 5% on everything we buy from the store. This basically means that we get next to nothing off on CDs, DVDs, games, computers, monitors, computer peripherals, boomboxes, etc. However, we do get very generous discounts off audio components, big TV's, accessories of any type (no, Monster's markup is not 400%, but it is 50%)

Example: A pair of Klipsch SF2's sells off the rack for $650 - I pay $390. A Yamaha HTR-5560 amp sells for $500, I pay $350. On the flip side, a 20" Daewoo flat screen TV sells for $150, I pay $138. A Soundblaster Audigy Platinum II sells for $199, I pay $175.

You get the picture. But don't put your bro in harm's way by making him buy a bunch of stuff for you - they track every purchase an employee makes.

Klipsch Quintets are $220 from $399.

Klipsch 10" sub is $230 from $399.

99% of Bestbuy employees buy the JBLs as the price is just hard to beat. We can get any JBL speaker, not just the ones they sell at bestbuy. Most people get the studio series for next to nothing.

----------------

On 6/21/2003 2:13:13 PM Unreal wrote:

99% of Bestbuy employees buy the JBLs as the price is just hard to beat. We can get any JBL speaker, not just the ones they sell at bestbuy. Most people get the studio series for next to nothing.
----------------

So, lets say my brother bought some S-312's for my "parents", how much would they cost?

----------------

On 6/21/2003 4:24:47 PM Griffinator wrote:

----------------

On 6/21/2003 2:53:11 PM kenratboy wrote:

So, lets say my brother bought some S-312's for my "parents", how much would they cost?

----------------

About $550.

----------------

Meh, they still arent RF-35's.

I need a job at Good Guys. I would DIE to get some of that stuff for cheap 11.gif

----------------

On 6/21/2003 2:13:13 PM Unreal wrote:

----------------

I actually bought my JBL S38's at below employee cost when I first started working there - we had a massive backlog of closeout JBL first edition Studio stuff (including like five pairs of S-38's) - I ended up spending $180 for mine - sealed box, perfect condition. WHATTA BAH-GIN! 9.gif