Orion Blue Book

bkrop

Does anyone have access to the Blue Book of used audio prices? A guy offered up 78 Khorns "professionaly refinished" in rosewood @ $2500 and 88 Khorns in oak @ $2900. This seems rather high since 83 khorns, oak oil went an entire month on audiogon fot $2200.Help me out! TIA

The Orion Blue Book can be accessed online, you can buy 10 lookups for $10 last time I was there. However, I find the information is lacking and some of the prices are not even correct. It is really half-*** done and not worth it. I personally don't think it is worth the paper is printed on. Use your better judgement and benchmark the prices on eBay, Audiogon and Audioweb to get an idea. Here is a really good place to get that information as many of us have acquired Khorns in the last 6 months. Obviously, the exotic finishes like Rosewood will be worth more provided it was done at the factory and not pieced together by an amateur. I got very lucky I purchased my '88 Khorns in Oak Oil in excellent condition with only a small flaw or two for $1250. When you get close or over $2500 for a standard finish you are certainly on the high side for pricing, they are however worth it since they are going for about $7000 new these days.

BKROP...

I will second and third what a lot are already saying.. Ebay, audiogone, etc., etc., have pretty much the book value as far as I am concerned... Look at the completed items and see where people have gone too high or too low and see where things sold.

That said... Knowing the owner...getting an exotic wood,(zebrawood for instance, or what your looking at) all original parts, all working, and the wood grain condition a 9 or better.... is a fantastic find indeed. And worth more too. Again, look at the newer $$ and enjoy them. Keep some cash for some CD's, dvd's, a present for the wife, and a great dinner with her out on the town with some of the $$ you would save. I def believe you will "score" better with her too!