8.5,s

dutch383

hello everyone, new here and to klipsh speakers. I wanted to share my story of finding my 8.5 towers. While heading home from my brothers I missed my turn and ended up going thru a town that I usually don't visit. Now I am a big fan of classic stearo and own a number of older pioneer units. As I was driving a seen a "dicker and deal" sign off to the side of the rode. I asked the family to hold on a bit while I went in and looked around. I stepped in and found a mint pair of klipsh 8.5 with a tag of 150$ on them. Well I have never listend to any klipsh but certainly knew of their great reputation as great home speakers and guessed that these new had to be around 800 or 900$ a pair. The salesperson came up and asked if they was anything I was interested in. I said yes...these "off brand" speakers here look pretty nice and could I hear them. he said "yes sure" and tried to hook them up to a cassette deck ??? . finally he said he couldn't hook them up. I said well if you can assure me they work I will give you 85$ for them. I couldn't believe it when he said yes.

I have them at home hooked up to my Pioneer sa 8800 intergrated amp and they sound great. So next time you take a wrong turn..don't get upset to quickly....1.gif

Hello Dutch

You may be talking about the KSF-8.5 speakers. If so here are the specifications:

tweeter - k-97-kv 1" polymer dome

horn - 6" square Tractrix

crossover - 2200 Hz

woofer - k-1054-kv 8" poly cone

sensitivity - 94 dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter

produced - 1997 - 1999

retail - $650.00

I had a pair and liked them. I got them so I could try some SET tube amps. They have been replaced by a pair of 84 Cornwalls.

Something to look for: One day I hooked up the 8.5's to a solid state amp just for giggles. When playing very loud, I could a " mechanical " rattle from each speaker. I reached inside the rear port (the plastic bell shape is pressured fitted in but can be removed) and gently gropped around. I found that the crossover assembly was the problem. I removed the speaker terminal plate (crossover attached to rear) and inspected. nothing visible. All fasteners seemed tight. I decided no action would be taken because the speakers were not a problem with the tube amps. Had I tried a repair I may have epoxied the crossover components to the circuit board.

I remember reading a road test on these speakers and they tested at 92.5 dB sensitivity. Klipsch may have over rated a bit. Still good sensitivity for tube amps if ya get the bug.

Anyway congrats on the great deal,,, ENJOY

RB