DIRECTV vs. DISH NETWORK?

Tommytutor

I am going to upgrade my dish service so I can receive local channels over my dish. But, to do this requires changing out the dish and the receivers. I currently have DirecTV. Both services offer good upgrade packages and I was wondering if any of you have had both and found one to be superior over the other and why? Just curious if the picture quality,service,pricing,etc. is better from one to the other.

Thanks, Tom

This may very well be one of those "Ford vs Chevy" type debates. I personally have DirecTV and I really love it. My parents have DISH, which I found is also nice. Thier prices are about the same. I think DISH has more HD channels than DirecTV, for example Discovery HD is only available on DISH as far as I know. For DirecTV, I found there are more options for recievers and the like than there are for DISH. For example, I have an RCA DirecTV/Ultimat TV reciever that I will not give up unless the thing blows up on me. I am just to hooked the ability to record programs to the harddrive and such.

I guess go with the one that give you the best deal. Also don't overlook the feature of the recievers that come with the service. For example, do you want TiVo like recording in the future? I know both services has recievers available that can do that, but there are more options for DirecTV than there are for DISH.

For more info check the websites for DirecTV and DISH networkd.

----------------

On 6/30/2003 3:47:34 PM Tommytutor wrote:

I am going to upgrade my dish service so I can receive local channels over my dish. But, to do this requires changing out the dish and the receivers. I currently have DirecTV. Both services offer good upgrade packages and I was wondering if any of you have had both and found one to be superior over the other and why? Just curious if the picture quality,service,pricing,etc. is better from one to the other.

Thanks, Tom

----------------

i guess I don't understand. Why do you need to replace the dish and reciever. My friend has a generation 1 and he gets the locals.

I have Directv and love it. Get the oval dish, much better.

Easylistener,

I guess it depends what area you are in as to whether you need to upgrade the equipment to get local channels . I'm in northeastern Wisconsin and was told that I need the oval dish to get local channels. Turns out that my receivers are just old enough to not support the oval dishes. Both services offer upgrade packages at around $49.00 for the dish and two receivers installed but you have to commit to a year of programing. It seems to be an excellent deal and Dish Network credits your first bill $49.00 and the first three months include HBO for free. Don't quote me on this because I may not have been listening to the salesman as close as I should have and he was jumping between the teo services with the info. Dish Network seems to offer a lot and I could get service from the local dealer. Thankyou for the replys I've gotten so far and I hope I've answered your question.

Tom

I have to vote Directv also. 5 years & never a problem. I think the customer service is one of the highest rated. And like skonopa, I run a TiVo, & would never give it up. Harddrive recorders are the best thing ever invented (besides Klipsch9.gif ), no matter who makes them. I'm not sure if Ultimate TV has it, but with the DTiVo (DTV & TiVo in one box) I can record 2 channels at once

I have had DirecTV for at least 5 years now and have been very pleased. I recently upgraded my DTV receiver to one that can playback in Dolby Digital to take advantage of the movies on Starz & Encore that are broadcast in DD 5.1. Upgrading the receiver also provided me a better channel guide and component outputs. While DirecTV still does not offer the local channels in my area and Dish Network does, it is not important to me since I don't really watch those channels unless it is football season. I still have my rabbit ears that I can pull these channels in with in the event I want to see something. I think all the legislation over the local channel stuff is a joke. The picture and sound quality are superb!

i used to PRIMARILY sell satellite systems(about 6 yrs ago) and i chose dishnetwork because:

1.:w/directv WHEN you have a tech problem and call directv, they may have to refer you to the equipment manufacturer,and they may not(most DON'T)have a 24/7 support number.

2.:echostar(dish's parent company)has been making satellite equipment for over 20 yrs.

3.:Charlie Ergen, president of dishnetwork,is a staunch supporter of satellite customer-favorable legislation, and has personally devoted alot of time in washington d.c. to support legislation to help US, the satellite customer.

4.:dishnetwork, as a manufacturer, has come up with some of the MOST innovative technology for THEIR customers: i have a dishplayer, which they came out with over 4 yrs.ago, that incorporates a digital sat.receiver w/dd out, a harddrive recorder, AND webtv all-in-one. they won best of show with a new h.d. receiver that has two tuners, a 200 gig harddrive that can record up to 40 hrs. OF H.D. programs or 200 hrs. of s.d. sat. WHILE you watch another sat.channel!

that will probably be my NEXT sat.receiver, to replace my current h.d.model 6000

if directv's exclusive sports packages(like sunday ticket)are important to you, then get directv.however if dishnetwork offers the channels YOU want, i would strongly recommend DISHNETWORK.

p.s. i only sell directv/sony

avman.

----------------

On 7/1/2003 12:34:41 AM cyclonecj wrote:

I'm not sure if Ultimate TV has it, but with the DTiVo (DTV & TiVo in one box) I can record 2 channels at once

----------------

Ultimate TV can indeed record 2 channels at once, plus, you could watch a previously recorded program at the same time while recording two other channels.

That capability was available in Ultimate TV before it was available in TiVo (which is one of the main reasons I went with Ultimate TV at the time - 3 years ago). Just this past spring, I upgraded the harddrive to a 120gig drive, thus giving me 105 hours of recording capability. I really like this unit. It is very unlikely I'll upgrade until an HD recordable harrdrive unit becomes available, which I have seen starting to just appear, and even than, it won't be until I get a new TV

I remember when I bought my TiVo, also about 3 years ago, it had the 2 tuner in it, but was "for future upgrades". 1 week after I had it, they upgraded it. I knew one of the other guys had the 2 tuner before TiVo, but was not sure who.

I have also upgraded mine. I have 2 120gig drives, for a total of 225 hours. I have over 40 movies saved on it, most in DD.

What about the canadian dishes ? No comments on the bell expressview or the starchoice ? Btw, dish network and bell expressview use the same equipment such as receivers and dish/lnb setups. I have heard that you can change one into the other in about a half hours time. I personally like the customer support from starchoice. 24/7 you can reach them, if you wish to change your programming or have any questions or problems.