SVS PB2 Plus - Home At Last!

DillonW

From the rear you can see the three ports and plate amp. The plate amp has some nice features. I'll get a close-up shot of that tomorrow. Unfortunately work is real busy right now so I may have to wait till the end of the week to conduct some controlled testing. I'll set it up and get some preliminary impressions out over the next couple days. Let me know if there are any specifics you want to know.

post-6578-13819248284576_thumb.jpg

Congrats,great purchase.It will serve you well 1.gif

Now take the Rat Shack SPL meter and compare the output at 50Hz 40Hz 30Hz and 20Hz(one meter from the sub woofer cone and at listening position).If you have a CD with test tones and if you have the time(I know how it feels when new gear enters the house 1.gif )

Dillon,

Where are you? Wait...I can see it...eyes glazed over, drool flowing out of the corner of your mouth...you are stuck in an SVS induced trance. When you snap out of it you gotta let us know your impressions. We are on the edge of our seats.

Dan

Sorry for the delays. Between work and the holidays, I haven't had the chance to find the right spot for it, and really test it out. I did immediately notice how much more defined this sub is. The Velodyne is beyond boomy in comparison. The SVS also hits with much more authority! I spent the end of last week trying to find the best spot for it. Attached is the layout of my living room. Not the best space to work with. TV suggested the best location would be in the spot I noted as the "stealth" position. I tried it there at first, the output was impressive. I popped in the Matrix and tested the "I know Kung Fu" seen with the knee drop. WOW! But from the primary listening position it seemed a bit directional, and with music, it sounded delayed. I think the corner is just too cramped. I moved it up front where the Velodyne was located, it sounds excellent with music, but I lost some output with it being so close to a double doorway. I have to try some more experimentation with placement and settings until I'm happy with the position. I am somewhat limited in placement, but am open to suggestions. This is one powerful sub, well worth the wait. My wife could hear the difference in quality right away... whew, good thing! I will give it a full review with SPL measurements when I get the placement issue solved. It just happened to arrive when other issues demanded my time.

post-6578-13819248285406_thumb.jpg

Dillon,

Congrats on the arrival of your baby. Would it be possible to rearrange the whole thing so that the TV/Mains/center/sub could be against the short wall opposite the fireplace? My living room with HT is dimensionally similar to that and all the action is on one of the short walls. I am not really sure how that will impact the sound but it seems to be an arrangement that feels less "cramped". Just a thought.

Dan

Danartdis- Because of built in china cabinets on both sides of the fireplace, a full window behind the wardrobe, limited electrical plug outlets (old house), and most importantly, WAF, no major changes can be made.

This said, I think the location answer is between the couch and love seat as I originally planned. There, it really transmits low frequency vibrations to the seated listeners on both sides... with AUTHORITY!!! Moving the heavy furniture, La Scalas, and the PB2+ was no picnic, but I had to try it out. I have yet to finish calibrations, but I ended up watching most of the Matrix when I only intended on performing a small test with a few select scenes. This sucker has more punch than Mike Tyson (in his prime). I have a hard time imagining what the B4 is capable of.

More to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

Danartdis (And Other Board Members)

Sorry for the long delay. The PB2 Plus has brought me nothing but bad luck. Ok, maybe its not the sub's fault, but since I received it, work has been killing me, I've been in a motorcycle accident, and my friend had a heart attack (No Joke). Needless to say, while I have enjoyed the sub for the occasional movie, no real testing has been completed. That said, I can say with confidence that my CT-150 compares to the PB2 Plus like a Bose cube compares to a La Scala. Its really an unfair comparison. With music, the PB2 actually hits the notes, no matter how low they go. I have mine tuned to 16hz. You quickly hear just how musical it is. I'm not saying this is the best sub out there, obviously a similar configuration using Ultras would be an improvement. The question is, would it be worth the additional cost? This sub, at this price, demolishes any and all competition, bar NONE! Movies, Wow! I cannot imagine what the B4 Plus can do! The PB2 Plus can easily play so loud, if you like a few extra dbs, placement can be difficult. At normal settings it will blend perfectly. Place it near your seating area and you will think your chairs have a shake device attached. There are two DVD scenes that come to mind that I never really experienced before. First, the Matrix, when Neo and Morphius are sparring. When Morphius does his knee drop... WOW! It feels like something crashed into the house! Second, Lord Of The Rings (Fellowship). Near the beginning, when the ring finger is cut off. When that finger hits the ground... THUD! I need to get a test tone disk to give you the actual numbers. As I said, I'm sure the Ultra version is better, but if your looking for "Bang for the buck", this should be it. Unless SVS is able to trim a bunch off the Ultra driver price. Of course, if money is no object, I would insist on a pair of Ultra loaded B4s. 9.gif Lets just say I am VERY happy with my purchase!!! 9.gif9.gif9.gif I just need to get the time to enjoy it.15.gif

" That said, I can say with confidence that my CT-150 compares to the PB2 Plus like a Bose cube compares to a La Scala. Its really an unfair comparison."

LOL

Good description,the CT and CHT Velodyne subs do not have the deep bass fortitude to reproduce much below 30Hz,your SVS has true 16Hz capabilities this makes you FEEL the power.

The SUnfire Signature compared well with dual SVS Ultras,it will not dig as deep or play as loud down deep.But let me tell you I tested and owned...and own A LOT OF SUBS ranging from inexpensive units($400)up to BIG($5000)subs passing by the HGS18 and a few high impact brawlers.

The Suunfire Signature holds its own against all of them,one cannot say the Signature is put to shame or even vastly outperformed by any non Pro sub.Yes I am sure if I took a SVS B4Plus or the Pinnacle series Everest and compared side by side...DUH the two later subs would outclass teh Sinature in a BIG way.No wonder just look at the size and number of active drivers used...and the cabinet size.There is no way the Signature as powerful as it is can out pull a damn size and cost large sub.

Think of the Sunfire Sinature as the Ford F350 of deep bass torque...now the SVS B4Plus and Adire Everest are the two largest most powerful GM or GE locomotives...you get the picture.

For home use the Signature has huge 30Hz capability and is very potent all teh way down to 20Hz.In its size class NOTHING beats this TNT sub.

1.gif

I finally got my PB2 Plus just over a week ago, that is one nice sub. I replaced a CHT 15, no comparison. I was watching Unbreakable and when the music kicked in what was always one long bass note with the Velo turned out to be many short, quick bass notes with the SVS. Check out Chapter 10 of The Haunting in DTS, when the doors started knocking I dont know if it was my TV or my head that was shaking, but my vision actually blurred a little. That was at -14 below ref. and sub about 3 db hot, sitting about 8.5 ft. away. Man I love that sub.

The same week I got the PB2 I also picked up a Halo A21 amp, what a fun week that was. Needless to say my wife has shortened my leash considerably