Studio Monitors

DBvader

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DBvader and I went to goodguys on saturday, and I think now I'm considering between the following 3:

RB-15 (good detail but kind of weak bass)

RB-25 (loud, still not great bass)

RF-15 (good bass, sounded slightly muffled in the mids to me)

If I was to get the RB-15's or the RB-25's, I would invest in a receiver that had a subwoofer out. If I was to get the RF-15's, I would just get a normal stereo receiver. I don't know what the price difference is between such receivers, but it may be significant.

Does anyone know where to get the best deals for these (bookshelf reference series or low-end floorstanding reference series)?

sounddistributors.com has 2 (out of 2) poor ratings on resellerratings.com, and even though their prices are good, they don't end up being much cheaper than goodguys because they charge about $80 for tax+shipping (goodguys has no tax and free shipping). brandnamez.com also has good prices but very poor ratings, and I'm not too inclined to buy from a sketchy dealer.

----------------

On 7/7/2003 5:06:44 PM MichaelShaffer wrote:

The TX-8511 is only $210 from the Onkyo website with the extended warranty. If you want a receiver with a subwoofer preout, Harmon Kardon has some for about the same price. I'm using the TX-8511 with the RB-35s (got them from sounddistributors.com for $419) and it sounds great. I may get rid or the receiver and get one with a subwoofer output though since I like my bass.

----------------

They don't have the TX-8511 anymore, but they have the factory refurb TX-8211 for $194 w/ extended warranty. Maybe that's worth doing.

Actually, I found that J&R sells the refurb TX-8211 for $99, +$15 shipping. Seems like a steal, with great reviews and a MSRP of $249 (normal selling price of $199).

So if I'm leaning towards the RB-25's (from acousticsounddesign.com) at $330 shipped.. am I getting a solid listening system for $445? Am I getting my money's worth at this price point? Is it worth it to spend $130 more for the RB-35's?

My deal is.. I'm a student that's heavily into music and can hear good/bad fidelity, and I'm looking for the best stereo system at the $300-$500 price point. However, if you think at that this price point I'm getting the worse end of the deal, it may be worth it to spend a few more weeks of work on my system...

Again, thanks for your help so far, I've learned a lot in just these past few weeks.

----------------

On 7/14/2003 6:55:05 PM natan wrote:

Actually, I found that J&R sells the refurb TX-8211 for $99, +$15 shipping. Seems like a steal, with great reviews and a MSRP of $249 (normal selling price of $199).

So if I'm leaning towards the RB-25's (from acousticsounddesign.com) at $330 shipped.. am I getting a solid listening system for $445? Am I getting my money's worth at this price point? Is it worth it to spend $130 more for the RB-35's?

My deal is.. I'm a student that's heavily into music and can hear good/bad fidelity, and I'm looking for the best stereo system at the $300-$500 price point. However, if you think at that this price point I'm getting the worse end of the deal, it may be worth it to spend a few more weeks of work on my system...

----------------

Anyone have an opinion/input on this?

Now I'm also considering the Denon AVR-1403, because I can get it for $200 shipped (it has sub out, opti in/out - the other features aren't a big deal for me). Any comments about that receiver compared to the Onkyo TX-8211, or comments to the previous post of mine?

Thanks!

So I made my purchase yesterday. Picked up a pair of RB-3's for $325 yesterday at goodguys, after concluding that they were much more enjoyable to listen to than the RB-25's. To me, they were more accurate, smoother (the RB-25's were HARSH compared to the RB-3's) and seemed to be a bit more balanced.

I also ordered the Onyko TX-8211 (refurb for $99) from jandr.com and a pair of 10' XPHP Monster Cables. Maybe later on I'll buy another pair to try bi-wiring them.

I haven't gotten the receiver yet, but last night I hooked the RB-3's up to my dad's $100 sony receiver and they even sounded nice on that! I can't wait to hear them on a real receiver. :)

Thanks again for all your help.

I will add my 2 cents too.

(from a previous quote idea....) Studio monitors are not made to sound bad. thats silly. They are made to make what you record sound "truthfully reproduced."

The famous Yamaha NS 10's...ahhh used em... They were famous for eons...because yes, if you did make em sound good on those, they should be killer on any stereo system or even in the car too. We have come a long way with dolby digital surround sound educating the public. And as much as we all hate Bose, they make a pretty decent car system. So people are requiring more out fo their home systems too to sound great.

That said.. they are still used... no not for a final mix down, but as a "gut check" in probably 80% of any decent sudio, even today.

Mackies are not the "esoteric" big bucks studio monitors to have in a 5 million dollar studio.. They are what they are though...and for 80% of anyone they will do fantastic.

We could argue allen and heath boards...longer sliders...warmer perhaps...I have used them too. I just love the pre amps in the mics and have had NO trouble..Nadda and with prior Mackie stuff. If I needed anything they were polite fast in the response and dedicated to keeping me a customer. That has kept me a fan as well as with the amps on turned up, board up, even with Klipsch I have no noise..nadda...that is a huge major success with any PA. try and send an Allen n Heath board back to get it repaired...good luck!!

I do agree what you want is a true Hi Fi modern day stereo speaker though, and NOT a monitor for this set up situation. The new RB 35's will blow away last years model and are cheaper too. (Sorry but true! Do not be "fooled" by sales on last years supposedly better stuff the new stuff is fantastic. Add a sub later even the 10"? is fantastic..We heard it at the Klipsch weekend a few weeks ago.)

Monitors will sound boring usually, and will NOT play really loud and will give the feeling of lifenessless (if that is a word..LOL..) and leave you wanting a lot more..

Just my 2 cents...

----------------

On 7/29/2003 11:00:14 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

I do agree what you want is a true Hi Fi modern day stereo speaker though, and NOT a monitor for this set up situation. The new RB 35's will blow away last years model and are cheaper too. (Sorry but true! Do not be "fooled" by sales on last years supposedly better stuff the new stuff is fantastic. Add a sub later even the 10"? is fantastic..We heard it at the Klipsch weekend a few weeks ago.)

Monitors will sound boring usually, and will NOT play really loud and will give the feeling of lifenessless (if that is a word..LOL..) and leave you wanting a lot more..

Just my 2 cents...

----------------

Are you suggesting I reconsider my RB-3 purchase and go listen to some RB-35's? The RB-3's cost me $350 after tax, the RB-35's are $460 shipped. I have a 30 day return period for goodguys. I'll probably be using the speakers for the next 5-10 years of my life...

Natan..

Buy what sounds best for you.. And if it is just a tad more... Stretch yourself, for the better system. If you wait a few more weeks or months to get what you really want it will be worth it.

All I am saying is the new 35's either in floor models or bookshelves, really are nice too. in your application give em a really good listen!

I would consider the NHT Superzeros(www.onecall.com). Well within budget and a very good mini-monitor. Probably one of the best "bang for the buck" speakers of all time.

A great studio monitor for <$400.00 - no way. If you are willing to spend more, then get the studio monitor of studio monitors - the LS35a by Rogers, Spendor, KEF. USED!!!

Here is my logic. If you buy the NHT Superzeros you have only spent $150-200 and can probably resell them for $100.00-$125.00. The LS35a's will be $500-$700 used but you will definitely get your money back if they are no what you want.

Purchase any "boutique" monitor and half your money is gone as soon as you open the box.

Thats my 2 cents.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get your monitors? If so, what did you wind up getting? And are you happy with them?

I work with a guy who is into creating CDs, mixing, etc. He is very fussy about everything he buys. He recently purchased EVENT 20/20 monitors. He claims they are extremely neutral and totally non-fatiguing. They are about $270.00 to $300.00 a pair(without amplification). They are also sold amplified

for about $500.00 a pair.

----------------

On 8/27/2003 8:24:52 AM stan krajewski wrote:

Did you get your monitors? If so, what did you wind up getting? And are you happy with them?

I work with a guy who is into creating CDs, mixing, etc. He is very fussy about everything he buys. He recently purchased EVENT 20/20 monitors. He claims they are extremely neutral and totally non-fatiguing. They are about $270.00 to $300.00 a pair(without amplification). They are also sold amplified

for about $500.00 a pair.

----------------

I ended up with a pair of RB-35's ($419 shipped) and a refurb Onkyo TX-8211 ($115 shipped), and I'm quite happy with them.