Any Opinions On This Pre

garymd

Item #3032814333. McIntosh MX-110 tuner/preamp to go with my MC-240. I'm not crazy about the seller's "new" ID. You can't overload on ebay, can you? Looks clean and unless it goes way up in the last hour it seems like a good deal. Any thoughts before I try to snipe?

I might be too late with my response, but I must say that I am very happy with my MX-110. I have been using it successfully with an MC-225 and more recently with a Marantz 8B. I find it a very musical preamp with a good sounding tube tuner thrown in as an extra. Only with the Wright 3.5 Monos I found it a mismatch but with an MC-240 it should be fine, indeed.

Good luck,

Wolfram

I was away during the final minutes but I did try to snipe. I went low almost hoping to lose (which I did). It went for $710 (a steal) and I bid $700. Thanks for the response and I'll keep searching. I should probably make sure my 240 is running well first anyway. At $710 it's hard to lose money though. If it was certified by someone like Audio Classics it would go for $2k in that condition if not more. I'm just glad I'm home and my wife decided it was too hot to go to D.C. for the firewoks.10.gif

I had been looking at ebay for those, too - they seem to turn up quite often, but eventually decided to get it from Audio Classics. Yes, I paid more, but not being a tech I wanted to get a plug and play unit. Touch wood, this has been the case until now. So keep on looking and although some of my German friends rate the C20 more highly, I must say that I am in no way disappointed with the MX-110. I haven't heard a side by side comparison with the C20, but I can't say that I miss anything when listening to the same CDs on their gear.

Wolfram

OK, this is the third attempt to reply due to timeouts, so maybe this will actually make it to the forum!

The MX-110 is, quite simply, the "missing link" in my 2 channel system. I am using one with a Mc250 SS amp and a pair of Belles, and I find it to be very musical. This system started out with a CD player into the amp using the gains.....the addition of the preamp added warmth and musicality to the system - in spades.

The tuner in this component ROCKS. I can pick up stations on this unit with no antenna, and it sounds better than most tuners that have an antenna in use. If you have stations in your area that are uncompressed (unlike the Clear Channel/Infinity/other radio megacorps), you will appreciate the tuner even more.

I also believe that the MX-110 will match up very well to the 240 amp - simply because both are McIntosh. I cannot help but think that this is a key factor in the performance of my system - what could go better with a Mac amp than a Mac preamp? They sure do sound good together!

This was proof to my ears that the preamp is the most underdiscussed (but that seems to be changing of late) and underrated component on this forum. For all the talk of amplifiers here, the preamps should be discussed more. Dean mentioned in another thread that the preamp has more to do with the sonic signature of the system than the amp does.....and after getting the 110, I am inclined to agree.

Purchasing an MX-110 offers similar methods and warnings as most other used gear. Remember that you are looking at a unit that will be 35-40 years old, so buying from someone who knows the history and is reputable will be a big help to you. Audio Classics will offer you the easiest method of purchase - a clean unit that works as it should. You will pay the most here, but you will get a unit that is plug and play. Terry DeWick (at www.mcintoshaudio.com) also offers similar services (repair and sales of used Mac). Otherwise, the same rules apply as when buying other used gear - purchase from a seller who knows the history, has feedback, and is "up front" about the unit.

If you get a unit cheap that needs a refurb, Audio Classics or Terry DeWick can do this, too. I'm not sure if Craig (NOSValves) works on these or not.

These are certainly available on the used market - don't sweat the fact that you missed out yesterday. Prices can run as low as $500-600 for a fair condition unit - to $2000 for a minty one from Audio Classics.

Thanks for the replies. I've heard the pre is responible for up to 75% of a system's sonic signature which is why I'm asking. There's a good Mac repair guy in my area so I can go either way but will probably try to get lucky on ebay.