sacd, dvd-a, dvd-v

marksdad

last night my son had his friend over, and there was nothing on the idiot box so i decided to try my new music, some sacd some dvd-a some dvd-v, and i had the lights out so i listened in darkness, have any of you noticed that when you deprive the other senses the ones used become more acute? last night as i listened to my system everything just sounded so clear, the soundstage seemed so natural and defined, it really seemed as if the performers were there, of course the formats had something to do with that. i love the new formats, i do not have vinyl, havent really heard it since i was younger, but i cant imagine it sounding better, do the newer formats outperform vinyl, or would vinyl be the next step?12.gif

marksdad,

Your observation about listening in the darkness, or even low light, is 100% right on. It is the most pronounced tweak, and absolutely free, that I have ever experienced. The difference to me is like magic, but the experience wouldn't be as big of a deal to everyone--it's a mental thing.

If you listen to LPs in the dark, prepare to turn on the light every 20 minutes.

I think the problem comes from the law of diminishing returns. I think vinyl may have the edge but at what cost?

Take my system for example. $175 SACD player that proforms pretty good compared to the $1,400 invested in a vinyl rig. I would think that a $1,000 SACD player would play as nice as my turntable while still costing less.

If you spent $25,000+ on a turntable set-up you probably would not be able to find a Hi-Rez digital format that would beat it.

Then again, who's got that kind of money anyway?

No really, if you have that kind of money give me a call. I'd like to talk about borrowing some equipment.2.gif

marksdad,

I like having vinyl too, but I prefer SACD. To me one of the enjoyable things about vinyl is I can get near mint, used vinyl all the time for 25 to 80 cents an LP. That kind of price permits me to buy a lot of records. And a lot of this stuff hasn't made it to CD, let alone SACD.

I'd recommend getting yourself a turntable too. As to which is better, there will be arguments about that forever. No matter what technical things are offered for any particular format, all it takes is for someone to say, "So what? I know what I like better!" And you can't argue with that, so it comes down to personal preference, whichever makes you happier.

I like both CD and Vinyl. I prefer the original LP of a recording vs digitalized version but very much like original digital recordings. It's good to have both.

I often close my eyes when listening, allowing me to concentrate on the soundstaging. I'll have to try the dark though. Haven't done that in ages.

----------------

On 7/6/2003 5:32:43 AM marksdad wrote:

do the newer formats outperform vinyl, or would vinyl be the next step?
12.gif

----------------

Yes, vinyl would be the next step...BACKWARDS! 9.gif

Seriously, I've loved CD's from the time I first made the change from LP, in '84. I think I may have purchased one LP since then, while my CD collection has gotta be somewhere in the 2k vicinity. And I'm really anxious to move to SACD and DVD-Audio, maybe early 2004.

Granted, I've never had a premium, or even good vinyl playback rig, by todays standards. My current machine is a 19 year old Sony tangential tracker. But I struggle with the notion that bigger, heavier, more costly playback equipment can overcome the limitations of the medium. After all, yer still dragging a rock through a groove, whether it's a $99. Aiwa or a $10,000. VPI. But, if I heard a really primo rig playing some hi-Q heavy vinyl, maybe I would be amazed. Even if I was blown away by such a demo, vinyl is still the past, and digital is the future. And I ain't goin' back.