RF-7's On Their Way : Will They Compare to KLF-30's?

bchild311

Just ordered me a pair of RF-7's from my local Ultimate Electronics store here in Utah. Felt good about the deal I got, $1398.00 for the pair, plus tax. Should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm really excited to hear them. I listened to the demo theater they have setup in the store, but the demo's have always been a joke to me. The real test is when you get the speakers in your home. Anyway, I sold my KLF-30's to my brother who is wanting to upgrade his home theater ($800).

I'm really hoping that I'll love these RF-7's as much as I've enjoyed the KLF's. There were a few reasons in going with the Reference series:

1- my center channel is an RC-7 and wanted the timbre and stage to match

2- the RF-7's will be black to match my black center and black RSW-15

3- and maybe the most important, my wife likes the look of the RF-7's

better and that they are a little smaller.

So there you have it. I'll be doing a little sound showdown between the KLF's and the RF-7's tomorrow, or Tuesday when they come. I'll let you know my findings then. Until then, any Legend Series or Reference Series owners out there willing to give their opinions of the two lines would be appreciated on my part. Til then ...

post-12233-13819248322388_thumb.jpg

i bought my klf-30's before i could listen to rf-7's, because i didn't want to miss an opportunity to buy them new(the klf's)and was apprehensive about the rf-7's not having a sound i liked as much. i anxiously await your a/b comparisons, and i am a klipsch dealer, the rf-7's are VERY nice, and i beleive you'll like them.

as far as i'm concerned, i made the right choice.i listen to classic rock mostly, and so many people correctly refer to the klf-30's being some of the finest rock-n-roll speakers EVER made!! i have made recordings off the sound board of a band's live concert i attended, and when i take the cd home and crank'it up, it is just like being at the concert again9.gif9.gif

avman.

ps: mahogany klf's!!! that is the nicest looking finish imo

i have medium oak(waf-i like the m.o.too2.gif )

Steeler:

glad to hear they get better. As I pulled the new RF-7's from their box I marvelled at the beauty they portrayed. Just love the black and gold. I was really anxious to get them hooked up. When I did get them installed the first thing that I thought of was, were they really worth it? I was a bit disappointed at first listen. But, it got better even within the next hour of listening.

My opinions between the KLF-30's and the RF-7's: Right away I noticed how much more accurate and precise the 7's were. The clarity in vocals, guitar strings, piano, etc. was just mind-blowing. The part that I feel the 7's lacked against the KLF's was in mid-range. You just can't beat the Legends for a good rock and roll sound. The Legends seemed to be a more in your face, raw speaker, where the 7's were much more refined and sophisticated sounding unit. I seemed to get a better bass response from the 7's as well despite their smaller cones. The Legends really seem to need quite a bit of power to really drive their dual 12" cones. I tested the two with Sinead O'Connor's 'Am I Not Your Girl' because of it's big band sound. I also used a various artists compilation called 'Cafe Del Mar' Volume Eight. For dvd I used Eric Clapton's 'One more car, One more rider' concert and Lord of the Rings Extended Version.

I'm glad I made the change though I don't think you can have a worse speaker between the KLF-30's and the RF-7's, they are both a great Klipsch product, but for my ears they seemed to take to the RF-7's a little better. And from what I hear they keep getting better. I'll attach some photos of the journey of unpacking the new 7's. Enjoy ...

klipsch_rf-7s.zip

Welcome to the RF7 club,RF7's are fine speakers.By a good deal the best R series made.And the dual 10" woofers hold their own against the twin 12" of the KLF30.

When used as front and back sourrounds you really start to hear the live impact home 1.gif

Seems like a speaker like the RF-7 would be overkill for a surround speaker. But what do I know? The RS-7's seem nice to me and would finish off my system well, though I'm not sure when that is in the works for me. I'm so pleased with the 7's, they are everything and more that I thought they'd be.

Did anyone check the pics I posted in the .zip file? Unwrapping the RF-7 was like taking the clothes off a new bride ... wait I didn't just say that ...

I'm glad you enjoyed unwrapping your new RF-7's so much. I really enjoyed the first pair I unwrapped. Unfortunately the joy was short lived because I soon discovered a big chunk out of one. I didn't enjoy unpacking the second pair nearly as much and lo and behold one speaker was again damaged and the other had a factory flaw in the veneer. By the time I unpacked the third pair I was full of dread.

I ended up with two non-consecutive serial #'s but they were in good shape. Now I'm very happy with them.

Easy listener,

I had them shipped straight from the Ultimate Electronics warehouse in Colorado to the Utah store here. They came in on the Ultimate Electronics truck. They seemed to treat their products well.

What kind of power do you recommend? I've thought of gettting a Rotel amp specifically the 1095 and using my Denon as a preamp.

Ideas?

Great pictures and amazing T.V.

One thought -- if your wife allows it, you might want to pull the RF-7s out from the wall a bit. Works wonders for my KLF-20s (especially since I now use a sub for music and HT).

Let us know how the RF-7s break in, and how they sound when you move them around a bit.

seeing your pictures of the RF7s being unpacked brings back memories of when I got mine. I had to get it from the trucking company because their delivery schedule didnt match mine. the boxes were in terrible shape, but fortunately only one speaker grille was dented, the speakers were fine. I had to get them, one by one, in my mom's Nissan Maxima in the back seat. It was rediculous how big they were and the effort it took for my dad and I to get the box off without scratching the veneer or something. Love the speakers, try to listen to them every chance I get. I think they sound a lot better in terms of imaging for DVDs than music, which is good because I bought them for HT.

I did have one concern though, I'm getting a buzzing hum from the speakers when no signal is being fed and i turn up the volume. I know its not a flaw of the speakers, as its also there in the Bose system thats on the speaker A input. Sometimes I also get a bit of crackling on some songs, again in both systems. What could be the problem? I'm dont have a Monster powercenter or anything, just a normal surge protector. The speaker wiring is monster cable, with monster banana plug. 16-guage. Also has anyone tried a lower guage?

Haven't heard anything back about the break-in period for 7's yet. Need some ideas from other 7's owners if you guys have the time. Just gimme an idea of how long you felt that it took to get a good break in on your speaks.

By the way, listened to Madonna's lates concert dvd on the new setup last night. Contains a DTS soundtrack and cool visuals. The DVD is a great one for testing. Really cranks and has amazing bass. Hits some of the lowest frequencies I've ever heard.

Anyway so, break in time on 7's? Anyone?