Original Star Wars trilogy on DVD?

damonrpayne

Yes I have, a friend of mine from work bought them. I was going to too, but haven't gotten around to it yet. They quality is very good for movies from late 70's and early 80's. All three dvds included a DD and a DTS soundtrack. IMHO,they music was much better on the DTS sound track, but overall the DD sounded much nicer. The DTS track seemed a bit muffled during explosions. Like I had mentioned earlier, these appear to be transfers from the THX remasterd laserdisc that Lucas put out in like 1991. Much better then vhs and very close to DVD. These are the origionals, not the crappy special edition the lucas came out with later. This may be the only chance to ever own the origionals on DVD, as lucas will only release the SE (whenever he gets around to it.)

• 2 weeks later...

"These are the origionals, not the crappy special edition the lucas came out with later. This may be the only chance to ever own the origionals on DVD, as lucas will only release the SE (whenever he gets around to it.)"

Wrong. I ordered these discs expecting them to be the originals. They are special edition. I haven't been able to check them out yet though, just on my friend's laptop here at work. They look pretty good, and are anamorphic with DTS and DD, but they are Special Edition....

dblue, How long did it take to receive the set? From posting date it looks like 4 days, but from China, that seems kinda fast. And as a general question of that website: How can they sell 1st run movies to the US? Wouldn't that be a coptwrite violation? Are the 1st run movies that play in all regions as good as the ones being released stateside? I mean is it the same quality of picture and sound? Matrix Reloaded will be at the top of the list if they are. Thanks

The firstrun movies are probably of questionable quality.

The trilogy looks AWESOME considering it is a laserdisc rip. It almost looks like a real transfer. And the discs aren't burns either. They're dual layer pressed discs with gold surfaces. And the labeling is professional quality. Very awesome product!!

It took less than a week to get here. They actually came from Malaysia, and it only costs 4 bucks for shipping. Can't shake a stick at this deal.

Well, I ordered them tonight. Looking foward to seeing them again on a good quality widescreen picture. I question the quality of the 1st run movies, as I did these because of the low prices. Can't see >$10 for a good quality movie here in the states. How do they do it?

Have some more info...

The DD mix on Empire SUCKS. It so compressed that when things get really loud, it gets really quiet. I dont have my HK back yet, so I'm using an old POS Kenwood 1080VR (Probably one of their worst products)...Maybe the DTS track will fare better.

Still, the picture quality is amazingly great. My JVC doesn't quite pick up the progressive flagging (there probably isn't any), but the image is still quite good. Not quite as sharp as a real DVD, but pretty close. anyway, recommended, despite it's flaws. For $30 you can't really beat it

www.dvd2you.net had them also. They are 38.88 also. I ordered mine from the same place you guys did. They also had the Alien movie pack for 38.88. I didn't buy that yet but I will if everything goes good with the star wars order. My son is dieing to see the orginals. He didn't even know that there were others. I am failing as a father15.gif

I got the trilogy on VHS for Christmas a few years back. It has been borrowed, watched, rewound, marathoned (sit down and watch all three), you name it and they still look and sound great to me. I must have gotten a really good set, because the rest of my VHS tapes wear out much quicker. I only have a HiFi VCR (not Super VHS) but it still looks and sounds good. I wish I could find all of my VHS tapes on DVD so I could get rid of my VCR, but I am not willing to give up the original three or the Alien trilogy. There is something about an analog (read snowy picture) copy of Alien (the 1st one) with crappy sound that just makes the movie really good IMO. ;)

----------------

On 7/24/2003 10:28:07 AM dblue wrote:

"These are the origionals, not the crappy special edition the lucas came out with later. This may be the only chance to ever own the origionals on DVD, as lucas will only release the SE (whenever he gets around to it.)"

Wrong. I ordered these discs expecting them to be the originals. They are special edition. I haven't been able to check them out yet though, just on my friend's laptop here at work. They look pretty good, and are anamorphic with DTS and DD, but they are Special Edition....

----------------

You must not have ordered the same discs as I did, because I got the origional movies. Laserdisc transfer.