What is tone Defeat and Why do I need it?

Ou8thisSN

Right, so I have 2 RF7s and thats all I could afford for right now. I have them hooked up to an Onkyo Reciever on the "B" Speaker mode. I set it to Bypass Stereo Mode and it sounds awesome. On Music and especially in movies. The imaging is spectacular. Anyway, I listen to them without turning on "Tone Defeat" mode because all I noticed was that it simply sets the Bass and treble to +0. While I can turn this on and off in Stereo Bypass mode, I cant turn it off in Pro-logic or THX Cinema mode. Why is this always enabled in multi-channel mode, or is this only particular to my reciever.

I'm only asking because eventually, I want to get the rest of the Klipsch Reference series and a Reciever, perhaps the Pioneer 49txi or something. How does this affect yall who have similiar setups? Is the bass and especially the treble as clear and distinct and "controllable" in multichannel digital or prologic or THX cinema mode?

just basicly bypass the tone control circuitry in your receiver...thats all. Older components had that feature in them,but in the 80s, with bass enhancment they felt they didnt need that one anymore. It's a shame that the younger generation(not all) have been subjected to such horendes (However you spell it) sound that there is no standard to which to judge by...except the highend dealers which are becoming few and far between. The stuff you hear in circuit city and the chain stores is so tonely enhanced that it takes away form the original sound...you dont know whats real anymore...sorry I rambled on ..........gc

In simplest terms, tone defeat circuits are designed to route the signal from the source (CD, DVD, VCR, etc.) to the speakers in the shortest path possible, bypassing tone controls and signal processing circuits (Dolby processing, THX Processing, etc.) in your receiver. If the signal that is being fed to the receiver is stereo, it will remain a two channel signal with tone defeat on. If it is a 5.1 signal, it will stay a 5.1 signal, with no added signal processing (surround effect modes, etc).

----------------

On 7/7/2003 11:34:17 PM Ou8thisSN wrote:

okay, so why does my sound system sound so much worse when in Tone Defeat mode, than when its not in Tone Defeat?

To me, Tone defeat turned on sounds exactly like 0 bass and 0 treble. Is this just because my reciever is so old?

----------------

That is exactly what is what it realy does kind of.

Here's my take on this.

On digital receivers tone controls are done in the digital world. If you use some sort of "direct" and still use tone controls your receiver will still convert the analog signal to digital to make the tone adjustments.

So, if you are decoding your DVD or CD's in your receiver than it is working in a digital mode and tone defeat will not be an option. If you use the analog inputs then you can use tone defeat along with analog direct to pass the analog signal through without digitizing it.

On an analog system tone defeat sometimes does remove the tone controls from the circuit, sometimes it just sets it to zero, and sometimes setting them to zero removes them too.

my $0.02

I talked to this manager at Best Buy today, he said that he has a Denon 5803, and in THX Ultra 2 mode, he does have the ability to toggle the Tone Defeat Circuit, on or off. Again, in my reciever, I cannot toggle the circuit on or off, in either prologic or THX cinema mode. The sound is very bland but I got very excited when I thought that I could toggle the switch off on an advanced reciever like the 5803. Can you toggle the circuit on the Pioneer 49txi?