Hey Craig, my Cary went poop. It's NOS Valves 299 time...

ChrisK

Came home from dinner last night and my daughter told me that my speakers were crackling and popping while I was gone. Oh no...disaster has struck. I turned everything off and let things cool down for awhile. Later when I powered everything back up, sure enough, something's definitely wrong. Lots of low level popping and almost no volume. Tried switching out tubes. No help. Time to call Kirk at Cary and see about that famous (or infamous) service department. In the meantime, I brought my NOS Valves 299 in from the garage and hooked it up. Ya know what? I may not miss that Cary as much as I thought. That darn forty some-odd year old Scott sounds pretty sweet. The phono section doesn't quite have enough gain for my low output MC cartridge, but the tuner and cdp sound great. And when I hook up my outboard phono stage directly, it sounds great. Maybe I'll get a higher output cartridge and see how that does.

I just gotta tip my hat again to Mr. Ostby (for the restoration). Not to mention Kelly and Allan for pointing out to all of us here the virtues of those vintage Eico, Dynaco, Scott and Fisher amps. I'm sure glad I have mine.

Chris

Chris,

That is definitely a bummer to come home and the 2 channel sounds like a pea thrasher.7.gif

I could relate to what you said about getting out the 299 and cranking it up. I'd spent a few weeks giving a temporary home to a Rocket 88 and have also been enjoying some 2A3 Paramours while the 299 was dark. Started it up again and thought it is amazing that an 42 year old amp can sound as good as that. I'm running it right now on some Heresy's I just bought on Ebay. Not that I needed them, but they were cheaper than usual because of blown tweeters and since I had some on hand, just picked them up. Repaired and added binding posts on the back. The 299 is still impressive!

Regards,

Dee