Could it work?????

Shock-Late

I'd like to use my klipschorn-like cornerhorns as subwoofers with my scalas. But I can't place those cornerhorns in the corners...(i know, i know...)SO i was thinking about trying this (see the pict).

cornerhorns_as_subs.jpg

Could it work? I know the cornerhorns are designed to be used in corners but I tought that maybe the fact they're side-by-side acts as they were in corners (coupling).

Anyone ever tried this?? I cannot try for the moments 'cause i don't have woofers in the cornerhorns for the moment...

frans

Not a great idea. The K-horn uses the corner as the large end of the LF horn. In the above diagram, you not only lose one solid wall on each speaker, but they are cross feeding and modulating each other. Not a great setup, but I've heard other 'unconventional' positions which made people happy.

If you do give this a try, please post your findings. I can see the ad now "KLIPSCH INTORDUCES NEW MIDWALLHORN MODEL"

BobG,

That is GREAT news! I've had to settle for my La Scalas for years now because the music room doesn't have appropriate corners - one wall has a sliding glass door that goes almost to the corner, the other wall has a chimley jutting out just about where the edge of the cabinet would be. The wall between those corners is PERFECT for the Midwallhorn.

When will this be available? I didn't see any news about it at CES, so I'm guessing it won't be out for a short time yet. Will the MHorn be based on the new Jubilee technology? With that new extended range mid/tweeter, it ought to be awsome... I know you can't officially comment, but based on the above drawing and the proud Klipsch history, I'm imagining something like this?

shearer_horn.gif

Thank you THANK you THANK YOU!!!

biggrin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BobG:

Not a great idea. The K-horn uses the corner as the large end of the LF horn. In the above diagram, you not only lose one solid wall on each speaker, but they are cross feeding and modulating each other. Not a great setup, but I've heard other 'unconventional' positions which made people happy.

If you do give this a try, please post your findings. I can see the ad now "KLIPSCH INTORDUCES NEW MIDWALLHORN MODEL"

What if I place a false wall between them?

quote:

Originally posted by BobG:

Well, if it works, you'll have to call it the "Frans G. Janssen Midwallhorn" ! biggrin.gif

A bit too long maybe.

Frans

This is probably going to be a really, really

dumb question...I don't have good corners for a K-horn either. Why couldn't I just put backs on the cabinets? If the speaker seals against the walls, why not just screw backs on the enclosures.

Please...don't flame me smile.gif

I r a newbie!!

I have backs on my home made corner horns and they seem to work well.

My best guess is that there are two issues.

First, getting a good seal on the the last flare section along the sides of the K-Horn is important to good bass response.

Placement in a corner is otherwise still beneficial. You have to consider the next piece of wall, floor, and ceiling structure extending out six or ten feet. Those help too. Therefore, do maintain the seal at the back and sides. But, understand, even with a "back" they must go at or near a corner for best results.

"Best results" are pretty astounding. So, do it.

Regards,

Gil

"For large scale sound reproduction a pair of horns may be stacked in a corner, or arranged side by side against a wall eliminating the restriction of using a corner. Some space advantages of such an arrangement appear to exist over the conventional theater units"

P. Klipsch in "A Low Frequency Horn of Small Dimensions" J.A.S.A., Vol 13, Oct 1941

page 144.

quote:

Originally posted by John Warren:

"For large scale sound reproduction a pair of horns may be stacked in a corner, or arranged side by side against a wall eliminating the restriction of using a corner. Some space advantages of such an arrangement appear to exist over the conventional theater units"

P. Klipsch in "A Low Frequency Horn of Small Dimensions" J.A.S.A., Vol 13, Oct 1941

page 144.

So it could work!!! THANKS JOHN!!! Now i know i can buy some woofers to put in it...low bass problem solved... biggrin.gif

Frans

quote:

Originally posted by John Warren:

page 144.

But PWK was not talking about cornerhorns was he?

------------------

JDMcCall

Shock-Late,

There is nothing necessarily wrong with the LF horns arranged as you have them. You have essentially replaced a wall with another loudspeaker...a fairly even trade. One concern worth noting is that the subwoofer, as shown in your drawing, is located in the center of the room. This isn't the most ideal position for a subwoofer. Another option would be to place the two subwoofers laterally (stage monitor like) at the junction of the floor and back wall. We have used the LF horn in this position with good results.

BTW, a corner has two different functions as applied to the Klipschorn. First, it provides a surface that is required to complete the low frequency horn itself. This is basically what is being provided with a false corner. And second, a corner provides the most efficient means to radiate sound, and is the boundary condition in which the Klipschorn was designed around in order to maximize its operation. You don't have to put it in a corner if maximum performance isn't desired, but it is essential that the LF horn is complete through the use of a false corner (or equivalent).

Kerry

quote:

Originally posted by KGeist:

Shock-Late,

There is nothing necessarily wrong with the LF horns arranged as you have them. You have essentially replaced a wall with another loudspeaker...a fairly even trade. One concern worth noting is that the subwoofer, as shown in your drawing, is located in the center of the room. This isn't the most ideal position for a subwoofer. Another option would be to place the two subwoofers laterally (stage monitor like) at the junction of the floor and back wall. We have used the LF horn in this position with good results.

BTW, a corner has two different functions as applied to the Klipschorn. First, it provides a surface that is required to complete the low frequency horn itself. This is basically what is being provided with a false corner. And second, a corner provides the most efficient means to radiate sound, and is the boundary condition in which the Klipschorn was designed around in order to maximize its operation. You don't have to put it in a corner if maximum performance isn't desired, but it is essential that the LF horn is complete through the use of a false corner (or equivalent).

Kerry

So according to what you say, the real corner loading is not only lowering the cut-off, but also boosts the bass level relative to the high/mids level, am i right?

So assuming these subs would be driven in active operation with their own sub amp and level knob, the "boosting" action of the real horn isn't absolutely necessary, only the lowering of the cut-off by adding backs is necessary in this application? Heuh, sorry for the "strange" english, I'm usually speaking french... smile.gif

Frans

If it's not totally out of the question, I'd at least try placing the speakers at the junction of the wall and floor. That way, the floor would act as one wall, the front wall of the room would be the other wall. Sort of the same as suspending them midway up a corner - don't think you'd lose too much that way.

On an unrelated topic, something I've always been curious about... If you go into an "American" restaurant in France (or Belgium), what do they serve?

Ray

Frans,

I have a copy of a paper written by PWK. It is titled "Room Dimensions for Optimum Listening and the Half-Room Principle". In it PWK mentions using 2 Khorns as you describe and actually tried putting FOUR of them together in the middle of the room. He said it was "not as satisfactory as for a single speaker system in a nutral corner".

Al K.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray Garrison:

Not sure I was totally clear there...

Lay them down on their sides, and push the part that would normally fit back into the corner into the junction between wall and floor.

I've tried this today, on the right-hand wall: the speakers lie on their sides, at the junction between wall and floor. But I don't have klipsch woofers to try, the only "free" woofers i have home are the TESLA bass-guitar drivers that where in my scalas when i bought them. As those speakers don't reach low frequencies, it's difficult to say if it's working or not. I should try it with klipsch woofers (but i don't like to open my scalas...) or at least with woofers designed to do similar job. It's interesting from a visual point anyway...even if it takes some floor space wink.gif

Frans

In my Klipschorns, although I have them in a corner, I have installed "tailboards". These tailboards are sealed relattively well and in my opinion tightens up the mid bass region.

I think you would find by having the speakers in the middle fo the room you would loose probably 10 hz and would sound more like a lascalla.