Question on RF-7 sensitivity

jinjin

I picked up my new pair of RF-7s yesterday. It took the place of my RF5s which I sold to a friend. After unpacking and connecting the beasts, I immediately run the Auto-Calibration feature of my 45TX receiver. However, this is what I found on the Channel Level of my receiver settings (after auto-calibration):

On my previous RF5s (L/R): -5db

RC7 : -3db

On my new RF7s (L/R) : -4db

RC7 : -3db

Why? Isn't it should be the opposite? I am not changing speaker location. Due increase sensitity of the RF7s, I expected -6 or -7. If at -4db, I expected the RC7 to be adjusted to a higher level (-1 or 0). Or, maybe my Pioneer 45tx is screwed up???

Several things could be happening.

1) speaker break in time - It took mine a few months before they really

opened up.

2) Speaker placement - Those are two totally different speakers. The 5's

are closer to the 3's than the 7's. You may need to adjust the

placement to meet the acoustics of your new "baby's".

3) Combination of both above.

Experiment with speaker placement. RF7,s have 2 ports on the back compared to one for RF5,s so the wall will come in to play more. I have my RF7,s about 18 inches from the wall. Also experiment with toe in, they might need a little more toe in or maybe a little less. I have RF5's I use for surrounds and they sounded good the first place I set them, but I wore a path in the carpet from the sweet spot to the RF7's moving them an inch right or left, forward or back, until I had them just right. They sure sound sweet now.

jinjin,

My RF-7s calibrate at -5.0 db on my 49TXi.

I would look into the rear ports of the 7s too observe the position of the foam sound-absorption material. The foam material on the inside may need to be pushed back into place, if it moved during shipment. Between this tweak and break-in you will probably pick up at least 1 db.

Bill

A nearfield measurement will be more telling of the sensitivity differences between the two speaker models. Far field SPL takes into account the room in addition to the speaker - no telling what is happening. Too many variables.

• 3 months later...