Despirately Seeking Soldering Advice!

fini

While shopping for some eutectic solder (they DID have it at HSC), I ran into a friend that owns an electronics manufacturing company. Seeking further advice from him (can't get too much), he offered to come over and do the soldering himself! Although looking forward to using the excellent advice I received here, and anxious to try the techniques, I could not pass up his offer, especially considering the consequences of me screwing it up. He came over yesterday, and in about 5 minutes was done! He had a cool wire stripper that worked on these small gauge wires (a $40 tool, he said). He tinned the wire and the connector, then heated them together for the joint! I then installed the new cartridge (Shure V15), but will have to wait until next week to dial-in the tonearm, as I'm fairly busy this week. Thanks again to all wh helped, and when I've had a chance to listen to the set-up, I will report.

fini

Always useful to have a friend who knows how to do the job. Makes life much easier.

BTW FWIW I double checked something. Although some of the 63/37 solder I have used in the past was labelled eutetic, according to my welding text book, the actual eutetic alloy is 61.9/38.1. In any case, the 63/37 has a much smaller pasty range than the 60/40.