TV Speakers for Center Channel?

MotorHead

I'm in the early stages of setting up a home theater. My TV is a 57" Toshiba, which, quite frankly, has a fairly decent set of speakers below the projection screen. The TV speakers seem to have a fairly wide range and credible stereo imaging.

The TV is equipped with a switch and connections that the instructions say allow the TV speakers to be used as a dedicated center channel in a 5.1 environment. My plan is to use either KG5.5's as mains or perhaps RF3's, and I really haven't decided what to use as surrounds yet. Maybe 1.5's? I'll add a sub when I can.

The receiver is a new Kenwood 7080.

Any thoughts on this?

The speakers in the TV would hardly keep up with a pair of 5.5's. I realize that it may only be temporary so that is OK. Usually the speakers in the TV are not of the highest quality with most only being a 4" or 5 1/4" dual cone. The power from the receiver may make them pop and snap on occasion since it will be alot more power than they are used to. Keep in mind the center channel is the most important speaker in a HT system and needs to be on par with your mains. You really need a KLF C-7 or equivalent I believe for those 5.5's.

Feel free to try it, of course, but my guess is it won't sound right. The reason is that even if the TV speakers are wonderful units, they won't match the voice of the Klipsch mains you have on either side of it. The goal with the front speaker array is for it to be as seamless as possible, which is why some of us fanatics recommend using the same speaker in your center position as you have on the left/right. You'll notice the difference as dialogue, sound effects, music move across the screen and it will distract you.

If you can't swing a center speaker at this time that is matched to the mains, try running your system with NO center speaker. Your surround processor will create a phantom center channel using the l/r mains, and that phantom will be a perfect tonal match to the mains as a result. However, be aware that this only works really well when you are sitting in the sweet spot. Those who are sitting off axis from the center of the soundstage will lose the effect of the phantom speaker to some degree. But, for a temporary solution, it might work.

Doug

yeah,here's some thoughts.

do this only as a temporary measure.i use the factory-recommended c-7 center for my klf-30's, and while it is a very nice center channel, it isn't a klf-30. i am going to convert a klf-20 into a center ch., then i'll be satisfied.

avman.edit:y'all beat me to it. using the phantom center probably would be a good choice,especially for those in the 'sweet spot'.

av.

OK, I agree it will probably be a temporary solution, but I'll give it a try.

I've seen the discussion on using the same center speaker as your fronts, but setting another 5.5 on top of my TV sounds clumsy, not to mention unstable.

I suppose I could hang it on the wall behind the TV, as it is front ported. Hmmm. Might have to take a look at that.

Thanks for the responses. This is a fascinating forum.

I temporarily used the speakers in my Mitsubishi 55807 as my center channel. Once I got my real center complete, the difference was like night and day!!! I couldn't believe just how much I was missing! Those Mits speakers (and most any other speaker) just can't blend or keep up with the horns in the Klipschs. To truly appreciate your HT you need a good center -- checkout the links to pics of my custom Klipsch speakers in my sig. BTW, you probably do not want to hang a KG5.5 behind your RPTV since it would be mounted too far back and likely create a lot of reflected sound (which isn't good for a center or main channel speaker). BTW, I have a lone KG4.2 for sale. It has the same tweeter (the K-85-K) as your KG 5.5s, and I am willing to redo the front baffle so the horn is correctly oriented. It would make a good center for you.

Motorhead - STL has made you a very tempting offer!! Seriously consider. Yes, you have to factor in the appearance of a full size speaker laying on its side over your TV, but people will know you're serious about your sound when you do! I have a Klipsch Forte over my RPTV, on a shelf suspended from the ceiling joists by wire rope.

DD