For all you Mac computer "lovers" out there

dougdrake

----------------

On 8/2/2003 2:07:18 AM nicholtl wrote:

Very true guys...infact, even the fastest G4's were never quite as fast as their pentium counterparts. Weird then, is it that in all the ads and spec sheets, for photoshop, quake arena, and all those tests, that the dual processor G4's seemed to best the fastest pentium 4's at the time (2.6 ghz or something). wonder how that is?

once the G5 is released late august...we shall see...
----------------

Because you can lie with numbers. The Steinberg forum has a great thread going about how Apple turned off hyperthreading on the dual Xeon test box, to make the G5 test faster. Mac users are part of a cult and don't even know it. It doesn't matter if the computer is any good, it is a Mac. It's the attitude that stinks, not the computers themselves.

Marvel

You can lie with numbers, and I'm not a Mac user (now) tho, I was in the past, and I'm sure I will be in the future if they keep up the work with OSX. Second, your post is incorrect in a few regards.

1. Apple didnt turn off anything. If you are talking about the same benchmarks ppl have been talking about lately, those were conducted by a 3rd party, not Apple.

2. They (the 3rd party, not Apple) turned off HT because...turning it off made the xeons do BETTER. Yes, HT can use additional processor overheard to handle coordination of processes. If A program was not designed to use SMP and you are using multiprocessors it is always possible to do worse when in SMP mode. Heck, the original Quake ran WORSE on a multi processor box if you had your SMP support turned on:)

3. And you didn't mention the other gripe, that the Xeon would have done better if you used the Intel compiler...well gee, thats possible, but the benchmark used the SAME compiler on both systems, that seems like a better way to judge hardware, rather than comparing compilers.

4.The benchmarking procedures for this test were very well documented. If you really think it was an unfair benchmark, Id really like to know why.

And yeah, Im going to be labeled by you as a cultist, but I hate to see this FUD being spread, it's almost as bad as Bose.

Other links:

G5 Benchmark by NASA

http://members.cox.net/craig.hunter/g5/

-MKL

"Because you can lie with numbers. The Steinberg forum has a great thread going about how Apple turned off hyperthreading on the dual Xeon test box, to make the G5 test faster. Mac users are part of a cult and don't even know it. It doesn't matter if the computer is any good, it is a Mac. It's the attitude that stinks, not the computers themselves"

• Like 1